[solved] No webgui

cpthook

Hello Forum..  I'm sure you seen my previous post in "Stable Releases" regarding no GUI after update to 6.4, and I'm sure many have reviewed my Diagnostics & syslog but just don't see anything out of place. So I will try one last time but with a few more details:

1. I've followed the recommendations in the OP, and removed all questionable PLGs.
  2. If I remove my config file from the flash and start fresh, I can access the web GUI just fine.  So something within  my config file is breaking something.  
  3. I've tried all boot options recommended in the OP.  I even removed the entire PLG folder and rebooted in safe mode
  4. My server pings just fine on my LAN after update, so I can SSH and access the network Flash share with no issues and revert back to v6.3.5 after I give up troubleshooting. 
  5.  I tried to start with a clean USB, re-format my USB and restore v6.3.5 backup.  When I tried to run the make bootable bat file, I receive "cant delete MBR, access denied".  I run the file as admin, per recommendations.  I can still boot to unRAID backup just fine.
  6. I have a 2nd unRAID server on my LAN that updated to v6.4 with no issues, so of course I compared all config files and the syslog at boot more specifically, but could not recognize anything out of place except this:

Jan 18 18:38:33 TowerII emhttpd: shcmd (23): /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx start
Jan 18 18:38:33 TowerII root: unable to load certificate
Jan 18 18:38:33 TowerII root: 22442403294848:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:708:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE
Jan 18 18:38:33 TowerII root: Starting Nginx server daemon...
Jan 18 18:38:33 TowerII root: nginx: [emerg] PEM_read_bio_X509_AUX("/etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem") failed (SSL: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE)
Jan 18 18:38:33 TowerII emhttpd: shcmd (23): exit status: 1

2nd server at the same point in syslog:

Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (23): /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx start
Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower root: Starting Nginx server daemon...
Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (24): /usr/local/sbin/set_ncq sdc 1
Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower kernel: mdcmd (31): set md_num_stripes 1280
Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower kernel: mdcmd (32): set md_sync_window 384
Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower kernel: mdcmd (33): set md_sync_thresh 192
Jan 18 22:05:10 Tower kernel: mdcmd (34): set md_write_method

At this point I figured this may have to do with the new ssl certs feature, so I compared the PEM file between the two servers and found my updated server had the BEGIN/END CERTIFICATE and the BEGIN/ END PRIVATE KEY information in the file.  The PEM file on my 2nd server with no GUI was totally blank so I followed the OP and updated the ident file and modified the "Use SSL" line to "No" but still no success. 

I included my latest boot syslog after upgrade.  As always, any assistance would be appreciated!!!  :)  

PEM.PNG

syslog_1_18

2 hours ago, cpthook said:

Hello Forum..  I'm sure you seen my previous post in "Stable Releases" regarding no GUI after update to 6.4, and I'm sure many have reviewed my Diagnostics & syslog but just don't see anything out of place. So I will try one last time but with a few more details:

This was an excellent summary, but I would have preferred to see it in the release thread :)  (thanks to the mod that moved it!) Anyway, I would delete config/ssl/* from the flash drive and reboot.  Unraid should regenerate the missing *.pem files. If you still have issues, attach the full diagnostics after your next boot.

Edited by ljm42
1 hour ago, ljm42 said:

Anyway, I would delete config/ssl/* from the flash drive and reboot.  Unraid should regenerate the missing *.pem files. If you still have issues, attach the full diagnostics after your next boot.

Bro..  I spent 3 days trying to rule out causes to this, and you knocked it out in an instant.  I guess I need to spend more time learning the back-end functions of my server instead of just playing with the bells and whistles in the GUI.  Thanks for the kind words and the tip!!    

9 minutes ago, cpthook said:

Bro..  I spent 3 days trying to rule out causes to this, and you knocked it out in an instant.  I guess I need to spend more time learning the back-end functions of my server instead of just playing with the bells and whistles in the GUI.  Thanks for the kind words and the tip!!    

glad to hear it!  honestly, you did the hard part of identifying the error :)

• 2 years later...

Some years later and I experienced this last night. In-case anyone else ends up here: None of the above helped, the problem was my USB flash drive was unreadable. As in /boot, ls found nothing. I figured it was a dead drive, I could SSH in but the GUI was 502 bad gateway.

Restarted the machine and everything returned to normal. Bit weird, USB drive is now fine.