We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

6.4 Upgrade and randon shutdowns

Himself

I have a random problem I'm trying to solve. I have two HP Microservers (N54L) both running Unraid 6.3 - been running perfectly for over a year.

I upgraded the 1st to 6.4 and everything is fine. Simple process. Reboot. Perfection.

Since upgrading the 2nd it runs for a short while and then Unraid stops. The server is still powered and if I press the power button the server will start without issue, and then after a short period shut down again.

Had to be a hardware fault. So I've swapped the disks into the other Microserver (the one that upgraded and ran without error) and the problem has followed the disks and the memory stick they boot from.

I've changed the power lead and the ethernet cable. Tried a different port on the switch, just in case. The server never looses power, unraid just stop running. Even the green light on the power switch stays green.

Moving to another chassis seems a fruitless move. Is there a way to going back to 6.3 as this is what I changed? (First rule of bug fixing - What changed?)

Preserving the data on the array is the primary concern ~ naturally :-) ~ or just getting the system to run long enough to copy it off.

Most bizarre... any suggestions?

Thank you Squid - I thought I'd deleted this post as I believe I've found the problem - S3 Sleep

The strange thing was one server was fine and the other acted up. Swap the boot USB and the disks and the problem moves too.

Removing S3 Sleep appears to have removed the problem.

Good news is that the server upgrade I've been planning has finally been done. There is always an upside 9_9

Nope ... thought I had it fixed but I don't

So, Original problem that moved from one HP Microserver to another, fixed by removing S3 Sleep

The new large server I build (i7 P6X58D motherboard) ran for 2 hours when booted with the GUI. Boot the same server headless and it goes to sleep. Same basic issue, Shell is still active, but no disk or IP connectivity.

Test that is currently running is to reboot the new server with the GUI running and try to pump the data from the HP to the New Server and see if it will stay running.

O.o

2 minutes ago, Himself said:

The new large server I build (i7 P6X58D motherboard) ran for 2 hours when booted with the GUI. Boot the same server headless and it goes to sleep. Same basic issue, Shell is still active, but no disk or IP connectivity.

The sleep plugin currently has issues on 6.4

So ...

Sleep has been removed. It isn't the Gui boot either. The server ran for a couple of hours before developing this "feature"

Fix Common problems has just thrown up a "Call Traces" problem

Time to go back to 6.3 I think ... Wonder if I can remember Unix commands .... but I'll run diagnostics first

Your addon ethernet card is having a heart attack.  If you got it to replicate the trace via playing with the cabling, etc then don't worry about that.  But the trace is when a transmission timed out, and the driver is maybe a little too chatty in letting you know about it by issuing a trace.

The ethernet ports are the built-in ones on the motherboard. Time to change the cable and the switch port - although I would have said I'd done that, but with all the rebuilding, I may have reused something.

Thanks for your help Squid. I do appreciate it

Cheers

Two days in a 6TB of data transferred. All is well. Jumbo frames were the problem with the "new" server.

Sleep seems to have been the problem with one of the HP Microservers 

Thanks to Squid for walking me through a few processes and some fault finding.

Archived