We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Attach ISO to running VM

StuS

Hi all,

Fairly silly question, but I simply can't find the answer...  can you mount an ISO to a running VM without having to stop the VM, edit the config, and select the ISO from the ISO share?

Is there a plugin to mount an ISO into a running VM?  I was hoping the "Unassigned Devices" plugin would do this, but that just mounts the ISO to the unRAID server itself  *smile*.

Cheers,

Stu.

Hi all,

Fairly silly question, but I simply can't find the answer...  can you mount an ISO to a running VM without having to stop the VM, edit the config, and select the ISO from the ISO share?
Is there a plugin to mount an ISO into a running VM?  I was hoping the "Unassigned Devices" plugin would do this, but that just mounts the ISO to the unRAID server itself  *smile*.

Cheers,
Stu.

Assuming it's a Windows vm why not just use something like magic iso to mount it within Windows itself

I was thinking more for say CentOS across 2 DVD images, or another situation where I'd have to mount more than one ISO.   Even with Windows, I'd have two ISO's mounted during the build (Windows + VirtIO), is there not a way of attaching/detaching these without stopping the VM first?

19 minutes ago, StuS said:

is there not a way of attaching/detaching these without stopping the VM first?

I've not tried it, but I found a couple references to using the command line virsh to attach images. Also, you may be able to do it with virt-manager.

Search terms to explore would be unraid virt-manager,  virsh iso command line

Archived