We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Video Recovery Tool

Joseph

Hey Guys,

I found a tool online that helps to identify corrupt media. Its is helping me out after I lost a disk and attempted a low level recovery on the files. As I understand, the tool remuxes the video file and keeps a log for each attempt. The logs then reveal if it had to abort because of an error. I made a .bat file to run it for a folder. It might be a benefit to someone else if they find themselves in a similar situation or want to check the integrity their videos. (see attached)

fyi, found here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/test-corrupt-mkvs.1640664/

for %%I in (PATH\*.mkv) do (
eac3to.exe "%%I" -check
)

replace PATH with the actual path.

the tool must be run from a different location than the PATH

If someone smarter than me can figure out how to move the files that failed the 'test' to another folder, please let me know.

eac3to.zip

eac3bat.bat

Might be a good idea to check your files in a media player as well. I've seen more than a couple files that were partially corrupt as found, yet play pretty much perfectly because the media player just skips the bad part fairly seamlessly.

I'd just hate for you to discard files that are actually perfectly playable.

Could be educational to run this tool on files you are sure are good, just for reference.

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

the tool remuxes the video file and keeps a log for each attempt.

The main function of eac3to is not remuxing, but actually audio manipulation/transcoding between different audio formats that are mainly used in Blu-Rays (i.e. DTS-HD MA/DTS, TrueHD/AC3, LPCM, FLAC...etc) and its the best free tool out there for handling all those formats...its main site is doom9

15 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Might be a good idea to check your files in a media player as well. I've seen more than a couple files that were partially corrupt as found, yet play pretty much perfectly because the media player just skips the bad part fairly seamlessly.

Using a test batch, I spot checked each video with VLC prior to running the tool. The ones that crashed or hung on VLC, I flagged as bad; other's that I thought were sort of ok I flagged iffy. The tool showed errors on all of the bad & iffy ones as well as a few of others that I thought were ok. But the rest passed with just a few warnings or with flying colors. I'll go back and recheck the iffy and others that I thought were ok just make sure.

on a side note, some videos crash the test tool and requires user input to continue the batch... so its not as automagic as I thought it would be.

15 hours ago, Mat1926 said:

The main function of eac3to is not remuxing, but actually audio manipulation/transcoding between different audio formats that are mainly used in Blu-Rays (i.e. DTS-HD MA/DTS, TrueHD/AC3, LPCM, FLAC...etc) and its the best free tool out there for handling all those formats...its main site is doom9

Cool...Good to know. Thanks!

I use it (eac3to) to Rip my BluRays to MKV format.  I wrote a GUI in java that uses eac3to to demux the files into their component parts and then use MKVToolnix to remux those parts back into MKVs.  Most products that rip BluRays offer this too but I wrote my own to give me more control over how and what was in the final MKV.

Archived