We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Docker Architecture

vol

Hello. I've got a question regarding docker implementation.

On macOS Docker runs with virtualization (to virtualize Linux kernel). That's why, when setting up docker on mac, you need to setup virtual disk with the docker.

On Linux docker runs natively and Unrad is based on Slackware. Why does we need to setup docker disk size if there is no virtualization, and docker could simply natively use any disk mounted to the unRAID, without creating virual images?

27 minutes ago, vol said:

Hello. I've got a question regarding docker implementation.

On macOS Docker runs with virtualization (to virtualize Linux kernel). That's why, when setting up docker on mac, you need to setup virtual disk with the docker.

On Linux docker runs natively and Unrad is based on Slackware. Why does we need to setup docker disk size if there is no virtualization, and docker could simply natively use any disk mounted to the unRAID, without creating virual images?

My speculation is that because unraid runs completely in RAM, that if you tried to do it the way you said, people would be running out of RAM left and right.

8 hours ago, vol said:

Why does we need to setup docker disk size if there is no virtualization, and docker could simply natively use any disk mounted to the unRAID, without creating virual images?

Docker is running natively, not virtualized.

Docker's internal files need to be stored on a BTRFS partition with COW enabled, but for the rest of the cache drive you typically want COW disabled (or XFS).  The simplest/best way to handle this is to create a disk image specific to docker.

Archived