We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Issue with SMB - Different than what I've read about

go69cars

I'm in the process of transferring all my data to a new UnRaid Server from a Synology NAS.   I am using Windows and was using Network Shares up until the middle of the night last night.   I have a user I created that has read and write privileges to all the shares.   Last night I could log into those shares as that user and see them on the UnRaid.   Sometime in the middle of the night my server went off line.   I'm not sure why.   I booted it up again today and since then I can't connect to it through Windows Explorer.   I've tried tower.   I've tried the local IP address.   

I tried resetting the IP address to a static IP address and it didn't seem to make a difference.   I set SMB to workgroup and didn't have success.   

The next thing I tried was to make the UnRaid the Master.   I then rebooted.   Now it shows a message

Tower login: ads_find_dc: no realm or workgroup!  Don't know what to do.   This message it repeated 3 times then it says

Join to domain is not valid:  Unexpected information received

I've since started transferring my files with FTP using Filezilla and that is working well

However at some point I want to use Transmission on this server and use the remote GUI on my Windows Computer.   In order to do that it needs paths mapped which I'm assuming will need working network shares.  

I'm really stumped as Synology was never this difficult to get running.  

I

So I’ve been doing more research and the first step seems to be to name my Windows account the same as my UnRaid account.   The only problem with this is that my Windows account starts with a capital letter and  I can’t create user accounts on UnRaid with a Capital. Do I need to change the name of my account on Windows or is there a way around this.  

First, go to Settings   >>>  SMB    and make sure that everything is set properly.  Then go to Shares and make sure that all of your shares  are setup correctly.  (I am assuming that you have already verified that the Array is actually up and running.)  

If those checks do not find anything awary, you should post up the diagnostics file    Tools   >>>  Diagnostics   

Regarding user names, You might want to read this post and the following posts:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

What I did was to create a user which was NOT the the name of any user or any computer on the network.  The way you get to avoid the problem of not being able to use Capital Letters.   Next unassign any users that are assigned to the share in question.  Add your new user.  Next, you should also go to the Windows Credential Manager and delete any credentials you find.  Now When I login, I never check the box to have Windows remember my credentials.  The downside to this is that you have to log into your shares everytime you restart the Windows computer.  

Good News.   I had to reboot my Windows machine today to fix an issue with Plex and now User Shares seem to be working.   Whoever said this SMB thing is a bit like witchcraft is absolutely right.   I hope it sticks as I have no idea what ended up causing the problem in the first place

One more thing to check.  See what computer on your network is the Local Master.  Most  people find that it is best that your unRAID server is the Local Master.  You have to turn on a switch for an unRAID server to even be in the election process.   To turn on this switch, go to    Settings   >>>  SMB     ..>   Workgroup Settings

Here are a couple of links that might help you with diagnosing your network and getting it set up

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

and

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-536447

BTW, it can often take up to an hour for a SMB network to stabilize on all the computers connected to it even when it working correctly.   

I have suspected for some time that the reason that having a single computer on the network always be the Local Master is that I think when you shut a computer down it 'remembers' the computer that was the Local Master at that point in time and checks to see if it still is.  This substantially reduces the time for everything to become synced.  

I was pulling my hair out yesterday trying to figure out the issues and today it just basically solves itself.   I did set my UnRaid server as local master last night so maybe it just took a second reboot of my Windows PC for it to really fix the issue.   Thanks for your help

I haven't had an issue connecting to my always on servers  since I made the changes to assure that one server is always the Local Master.  Once in a blue moon, I 'lose' the ability to find my wife's computer after it first gets booted up.  But it often appears 'magically' later in the day (or if I really need the connection to it, I can reboot my computer).  

10 hours ago, go69cars said:

I was pulling my hair out yesterday trying to figure out the issues and today it just basically solves itself.   I did set my UnRaid server as local master last night so maybe it just took a second reboot of my Windows PC for it to really fix the issue.   Thanks for your help

I think it can take 40-45 minutes from the last master browser election before you reach steady-state.

Archived