We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Recently Upgraded from 4.7 to 6.3.5 - Now Getting Strange Behaviour

BusinessBat

Hello everyone! I've been using Unraid 4.7 for many years. I had been putting off upgrading versions, since my CPU was too old (32 bit) to support 6.3.5. Finally, over the holidays, I upgraded my CPU to a newer 64 bit that is compatible with my motherboard, and then upgraded to Unraid 6.3.5syslog.txt. Since then, my system has been acting a bit erratically. 

For the first week or two, the server would hang every few days, usually when I was trying to copy files to it. It would be become inaccessible, even after leaving it overnight, and eventually I would need to restart it. However, restarting is also an issue. If I try to powerdown from the Web GUI, the GUI becomes inaccessible, and I can no longer access shares, but the server continues to run. Prior to my upgrade, if I pressed the power button on my case, it would beep once, then shut down. That no longer works (no beep, no power down). If I connect a monitor & keyboard and run "powerdown", the system beeps, and gives me the message "The system is going down for system halt NOW!", but the tower continues to run. I can telnet to it throughout all of this, even after issuing "powerdown" commands. If I send a "powerdown" command from telnet, it does the same thing as when I did it from a keyboard. The first couple of times this happened, I was forced to shutdown by switching off the power in the back, but I'd prefer not to do that again if I can avoid it.

I've just tried to power it down again, so it is currently stuck at the "The system is going down for system halt NOW!", but still running. Since it's still running, I was able to capture my system logs, which I've attached. The only plugin I've installed is the "Fix Common Errors" plugin, which I installed after I was receiving issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

syslog.txt

unraid-diagnostics-20180204-1237.zip

2 minutes ago, BusinessBat said:

upgraded to Unraid 6.0.

Not sure if you mean 6.0 or 6.3.5 / 6.4.x  Big difference there

The webUI not responding is generally fixed under 6.4

4 minutes ago, BusinessBat said:

capture my system logs,

Diagnostics are always preferred (from command prompt enter in diagnostics)

All your syslog shows is that you've got another browser tab / browser somewhere open to a page on the webUI from before your last reboot

The syslogs in the diagnostics is just as useless unfortunately.  Since its nothing but another browser tab opened from before a reboot (unRaid only keeps 3 rotated syslogs at a time, and they all have the same line over and over again)  Close all browser tabs.

You can try manually issuing the reboot again at the command prompt if it still doesn't work, then you're going to have to hard reset it.

I'd upgrade to 6.4.1 as there's many improvements regarding the UI not responding (ie: it actually shouldn't ever happen)

26 minutes ago, BusinessBat said:

For the first week or two, the server would hang every few days, usually when I was trying to copy files to it. It would be become inaccessible, even after leaving it overnight

If this persists look into converting your disks to xfs, reiserfs is not recommended for v6 for sometimes causing issues with the symptoms you describe, besides it's a dead filesystem with other problems.

Archived