We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Installed a new SSD Cache drive and it works perfectly apart from lots of "unknown attributes" in SMART...

5footbanana

8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It's because it's a very new model, still not on smartmon tools database, you'll need to wait until it's updated to include it.

Exactly the response I was after!!  

Will I need to update any databases or is it part of unRaid that will update itself?  Thanks.

I'm not sure if the database is updated without a new unRAID release, but you can check current version by typing smarctl on the console:

smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-4.14.16-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ERROR: smartctl requires a device name as the final command-line argument.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Just noticed unRAID is using quite an old version, 6.6 has been available for some time, though not sure if the MX500 is part of that database

3 minutes ago, bonienl said:

When there is a new database available it will be included in a next release of unRAID, this doesn't garantee that unRAID is always using the latest version though.

That's what I though, but why are we not using 6.6?

Smartmontools 6.6 was released 2017-11-05

10 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Ps. I am talking about the SMART database, not the tools.

Ahh, I didn't know the database was separate, in that case we're running the latest database:

root@Tower1:/# /usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb
/usr/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h is already up to date

Unless the database is tied to the version?

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Unless the database is tied to the version?

No, database is independent. but it can take time before disk models are part of it. Had the same "issue" with a Crucial MX100 at the time, but eventually is was included. This is purely a display thing, it doesn't affect the working of the disk itself.

Archived