Slow Parity rebuild

SavellM

19 minutes ago, jjdemello123 said:

ive been trying to figure out why my parity rebuild is taking so long.

The 10 port SATA controller you're using is in a really a 2 port controller with 2 SATA port multipliers, those are not recommended at all, both for performance and reliability reasons, and frequent ATA timeouts are one of the known issues.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

The 10 port SATA controller you're using is in a really a 2 port controller with 2 SATA port multipliers, those are not recommended at all, both for performance and reliability reasons, and frequent ATA timeouts are one of the known issues.

what would you recommend to add 6+ sata ports to my system. the sata expander im using is only 6 ports. so the 10 port that your reading is  the one on my motherboard. info.PNG.413f62bda0353acf389bdfdc8770d29d.PNG

1 minute ago, jjdemello123 said:

so the 10 port that your reading is  the one on my motherboard. 

No, it's an addon ASmedia controller, and it's reported as 10 functional ports in the syslog though there might be less actual ports, recommended controller for Unraid is any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

21 minutes ago, jjdemello123 said:

would this be a good one to get?

It appears to be raid mode only, IT mode would be best, it might accept LSI IT firmware, it might not, unless you find some info where somebody else did it successfully it would probably be better to get one that is known to work in IT mode, e.g. LSI 9300-8i which uses the same chipset, though a SAS2 model would be cheaper and perform the same unless you plan to use SSDs and/or SAS expanders.

12 minutes ago, jjdemello123 said:

Than you. 

No problem, do you mind confirming if the controller you were using looks like this one:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MVYN6X9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_5kzZCbKDS7ZGC

So I know for the future, as in the syslog it appears the same as this 10 port one:

https://www.amazon.de/Informatique-Controller-Professionelle-Komponenten-vorinstallierten/dp/B01ENKHLS6/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=asmedia+10+port&qid=1557240379&s=computers&sr=1-3-fkmrnull

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...