Docker setup...coming from Ubuntu Server 16.04

IamSpartacus

Hey guys.  I'm looking to migrate all my docker containers from two Linux Ubuntu 16.04 servers over to unRAID.  Typically when configuring docker containers on those servers I just cut and paste my docker create/run commands.  I do everything via SSH and it's just so much easier to me than typing out all the paths, ports, and variables in the unRAID WebUI.

So my question is, if I setup all my docker containers in unRAID using docker create/run, will I run into any issues and/or what considerations much I make?

12 minutes ago, IamSpartacus said:

I do everything via SSH and it's just so much easier to me than typing out all the paths, ports, and variables in the unRAID WebUI.

Docker container settings are prepopulated when you install it thru the GUI (CA), there is hardly (no) typing at all. Try it out!

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

Docker container settings are prepopulated when you install it thru the GUI (CA), there is hardly (no) typing at all. Try it out!

I will.  However, I still like doing things through the CLI.  To me it's just easy.  If I want need to blow away a container and recreate it, it's as simple as:

docker stop
docker rm
docker create/run (usually a cut and paste as I have documentation of all my container create/run configs)

DONE

So back to my original question, is there any harm in doing it this way?

The whole eco system of installing, updating, removing and re-installing docker containers is done thru the GUI. Including application access via the browser.

None of this will be available when doing a manual installation using CLI. You are basically on your own devices, including support as nobody can help such a custom approach.

It may sound appealing to you and continue your tried approach, but once you are familiar with the unRAID approach, you will appreciate it.

Just now, bonienl said:

The whole eco system of installing, updating, removing and re-installing docker containers is done thru the GUI. Including application access via the browser.

None of this will be available when doing a manual installation using CLI. You are basically on your own devices, including support as nobody can help such a custom approach.

It may sound appealing to you and continue your tried approach, but once you are familiar with the unRAID approach, you will appreciate it.

Got it.  That's what I wanted to understand, so thank you.

There is no issue creating symlinks for containers via the GUI correct?  For example for Plex I use the following paths currently for Media and Cache:

-v '/data/plexdata/Cache:/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache' \
-v '/data/plexdata/Media:/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media' \

Archived