Permission errors and general issues

kgwozdz

Hi all,

I'd like to preface this by saying I apologize for not having all the things I need for someone to help me, I'm not sure of everything that is needed. 

I've been getting permission issues on my windows shares when trying to write or delete files and folders through the share (and on the CLI as well). Rebooting the server seems to make all this go away for a little while then mysteriously show back up. There does seem to be block issues on my cache drive but when I run a filesystem check, everything comes back without errors. I've searched the forums and have tried a few of the suggestions but can't seem to find what is actually happening. 

I've also had docker issues in the past that have been resolved with removing the image then recreating it and reinstalling the docker containers. Even after doing that, I've had errors continue to occur. For instance, couchpotato will not run mover/renamer even if manually issued. I'm at my wit's end and have been pulling what little hair I have left out.

I've attached the tower diagnostics and the fix common problems troubleshooting output. 

Thanks for any help in advance!

tower-diagnostics-20180215-1530.zip

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

Thank you for answering so quickly. I’ll run that as soon as I got home. I did read that it is not longer recommended and xfs is preferred. Is the only way to convert the file system is by moving it to another disk? Then reformatting the existing disk to xfs and so on and so forth for the other drives. (They’re all reiserf). 

Is this still the preferred way?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/File_System_Conversion

Thanks again jonnie!

7 hours ago, kgwozdz said:

Is the only way to convert the file system is by moving it to another disk? Then reformatting the existing disk to xfs and so on and so forth for the other drives. (They’re all reiserf).

Yes

7 hours ago, kgwozdz said:

Is this still the preferred way?

It's a way, it mostly depends on if you have assigned disks for shares, if all disks are one big share just empty one of the largest disks, format, move data from next one, format, and so on, there's a pinned thread on this subforum discussing it.

Thanks again Jonnie. One last question. The cache drive will affect the permissions with my other drives as well? Because even if when I try to create a new folder, either via CLI or SMB, on say the "Movies" share, I will get a permissions pop-up stating that I do not have them to make changes on that folder. I may be answering my own question here but I suppose that is due to my having the shares to be allowed to use the cache drive. The cache drive at the moment doesn't have any movies on them so that seems odd.

24 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Permissions are set by share, for each share it will have the same no matter if on disk or cache.

@johnnie.black, not quite right.  There is a way to partially circumvent this.  You can find the basis of this in the first paragraph of this thread.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/58374-secure-writing-strategy-for-unraid-server-using-write-once-read-many-mode/#comment-572532

This allows one to be able to write to a share that has the security set to 'Secure'.  (If you don't assign a user to a share so protected, no one has write access directly to the share.  However, Mover can move the files into the share when it runs since it is not using SMB.)  

9 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

@johnnie.black, not quite right.  There is a way to partially circumvent this.  You can find the basis of this in the first paragraph of this thread.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/58374-secure-writing-strategy-for-unraid-server-using-write-once-read-many-mode/#comment-572532

This allows one to be able to write to a share that has the security set to 'Secure'.  (If you don't assign a user to a share so protected, no one has write access directly to the share.  However, Mover can move the files into the share when it runs since it is not using SMB.)  

Yes, but using it the shares as intended it's how they behave, that's a workaround for a specific case.

Archived