Unraid boots, but USB not mounted, can't set up

Asus Z9PE-W8 motherboard (latest BIOS),  1x Xeon E5-2697, 32GB ECC DDR3, Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB.  I can boot into Unraid but no web server available to log into.  I get the "waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID" error in the boot sequence which says the stick isn't mounted.  I can access the internet from the gui browser, but not the Unraid setup pages.

Tried the following:

• v6.3.5 (closest, diagnostics attached)
  • v6.4.0, v6.4.1, v6.5rc1 (all give the cannot find Bond0 error, disabled 1 NIC, didn't help)
  • 3 different USB sticks (cruzer fit 16GB, silicon power 32gb, Kingston Datatraveler50 8gb)
  • 2 PCs to create the sticks (Windows 10 on both, using manual format and copy+make bootable, and the USB creator)
  • 1 Mac to create sticks (USB creator only)
  • All USB ports tried (including 3.0 ports)
  • UEFI and legacy boot
  • Memtest ran all night and was clean
  • BIOS reset and seemingly every permutation of settings

Photos of my BIOS settings are here: https://imgur.com/a/oUeDK

I'd love to give my money to Unraid, but I just can't get it started!

tower-diagnostics-20180301-0934 (1).zip

2 minutes ago, jonp said:

Which account should I delete?

Looks like he has used the Andiroo2 account for more posts, and Andiroo only has this one post:

On 3/3/2018 at 2:50 AM, Andiroo said:

Label is UNRAID and format is fat32. 

So even if deleting Andiroo were to delete that relatively minor post, I have quoted it. Or maybe just disable the account. I guess I could have done that by flagging them as a spammer, but it's such a dirty word to hang on someone.:D

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Looks like he has used the Andiroo2 account for more posts, and Andiroo only has this one post:

So even if deleting Andiroo were to delete that relatively minor post, I have quoted it. Or maybe just disable the account. I guess I could have done that by flagging them as a spammer, but it's such a dirty word to hang on someone.:D

Ok, I'll delete the Andiroo account then.

• 1 month later...

Update on this issue.  After 2 motherboard RMAs, I have discovered that it's the Intel VT-d setting that's causing the "waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID" error.  With virtualization disabled, the system boots like normal.  As soon as I turn it on, with any combination of the available options (coherency and translation), the error occurs.

If I can't use VT-d, I have no use for this system.  Any thoughts on what combination of BIOS settings with VT-d might cause this?

I know others are using this Asus Z9PE-WS motherboard for UNRAID...are they just not using virtualization?

On 7.4.2018 at 4:17 AM, Andiroo2 said:

Update on this issue.  After 2 motherboard RMAs, I have discovered that it's the Intel VT-d setting that's causing the "waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID" error.  With virtualization disabled, the system boots like normal.  As soon as I turn it on, with any combination of the available options (coherency and translation), the error occurs.

If I can't use VT-d, I have no use for this system.  Any thoughts on what combination of BIOS settings with VT-d might cause this?

I know others are using this Asus Z9PE-WS motherboard for UNRAID...are they just not using virtualization?

Here is what is different from looking at your screenshots. Most of these probably doesn't matter, but I'll write them anyway.

Security --> Secure Boot Mode = custom.

Boot --> CSM --> Launch PXE OpROM policy = Legacy Only.

Advanced --> USB configuration --> EHCI Hand-off = enabled.

Advanced --> Chipset configuration --> CPU IIO bridge configuration --> Intel I/OAT = Enabled.

Advanced --> Chipset configuration --> CPU IIO bridge configuration --> VGA Priority = Onboard.

Advanced --> Chipset configuration --> Vt-d --> All 3 options enabled.

Forgot to write down the path, but Asmedia USB 3.0 Battery charging = Disabled.

I have some suggestions and questions also.

Try booting in non-gui mode.

In which port did you plug in your USB drive? Do you have any other devices on the same ports?

Try not to use a USB 3.0 port for the USB drive. I have used the USB port below the Ethernet port closest to the PCIe slots.

Try also to not plug in any mouse or keyboard, just the unraid USB.

From your syslog I can see that your USB drive is not recognized at all and you also have an error regarding one of your USB controllers. I guess this is the problem.

Mar  1 09:31:57 Tower kernel: usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
Mar  1 09:31:57 Tower kernel: DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 2
Mar  1 09:31:57 Tower kernel: DMAR: [DMA Read] Request device [00:1a.0] fault addr 0 [fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not set
Mar  1 09:31:57 Tower kernel: ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: fatal error
Mar  1 09:31:57 Tower kernel: ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: HC died; cleaning up

And mine shows this.

Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1:1.0
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 2599.957 MHz
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x257a1363f1f, max_idle_ns: 440795204892 ns
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.27 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 15633408 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 GB/7.45 GiB)
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sda: sda1
Apr  8 13:04:39 unXeon kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

• 3 years later...

I had a similar problem, too. The solution that worked for me is tricky. Here is the detail of what I have done. FYI.

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB UsbStick running unRAID 6.9.2 on Asus P7P55D-E LX machine. CSM boot, UEFI. turned off. Nothing wrong.

Then I tried to use the same UsbStick on Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H machine. This old machine only has BIOS. I can boot to unRAID, both command UI and Graphic UI, but I can't connect to unRAID WUI either from localhost or remte PC. At first, I thought it was the problem of NIC, maybe driver or DHCP. I tried to fix it but failed.

In this thread, the solution suggested seems to be related with BIOS settings, but that does not work for me. Then I found the path "/boot" was not mounted on my unRAID machine. It's the real cause of the problem.

I have a Kingston DataTreveler 32GB UsbStick. I tried to use "Unraid.USB.Creator.Win32-1.6.exe" to create unRAID on the UsBStick, but the process stuck at syncing files, never finished. I had to close the application manually.

Finally, I used Rufus to dump the img (vhd) from SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB UsbStick, and wrote the img to Kingston DataTreveler 32GB UsbStick. The partition is 2GB only, left 28GB around unoccupied. This time, Kingston DataTreveler 32GB UsbStick works on Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H machine, and /boot is mounted. Everything works fine, for now.

I can't explain why /boot is not mounted with SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB UsbStick, while same data on Kingston DataTreveler 32GB UsbStick just work on the same Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H machine. If anyone has an explanation, please share. Thanks.

Edited by ericave