Reconfigure Unraid Help - Rrmove SSD from array.

daddygrant

Hello Everyone.  I use unRaid for Dockers.  There may be VMs in the future but right now its all about Plex.  

It seems I didn't make the best choice when I put the server together. I have an Intel DC PCI-E 1.2TB cache drive and a 500GB SSD in the array (Because it won't start without a drive).  Later I realize its a waste of an SSD because the restrictions in performance and TRIM.  I would like to replace the cache drive with a 500GB spinner and run everything besides the ISO share on the cache.  What  is the best way to go about this?

I was thinking the following.

1. Ensure all shares are cache preferred

2. Run Mover

3. Erase the Drive Config ???

4. Then shut down the array.

5. Replace the SSD with the Spinner.

6. Turn on PC and assign the spinner to the Array.

7. Start the Array

8. Set the ISO share:  Use Cache = NO

9. Run Mover

Solid plan? 

Hi -

The step where you get rid of the old drive config and set a new one is called a New Config.  You can do it at step 3, but you'd only be able to assign the cache drive.  If you do it after the part in step 6, turn on the PC, you can both reassign the cache drive and assign the new data drive.  You should also turn off auto starting the array before you get going.

When you're ready to move ISOs back to the array drive, it will be a 2 step process.  First you'll set Use Cache for ISOs to Yes.  Then run mover, that will put the files back on the array drive.  Then set Use Cache to No so that going forward no files will be placed on cache.

By the way, I hope you are using CA backup to backup your Dockers to the array drive.

12 hours ago, trurl said:

Not directly related but do you know that unRAID is a NAS? Most people run plex docker on unRAID with their media also stored on unRAID. You don't really seem to be planning to use this server for storage.

I understand why people run it.  I used to run it as a nas but I have a readynas 3312 which is use for storage at the moment with unassigned devices.  I appreciate the simple straight forward way unraid manages it dockers, VMs and resources. 

Archived