We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

1 TB Samsung 7200 rpm F3 - $59.99

Rajahal

Newegg Shell Shocker, valid from 10 AM - 1 PM PST today only (Aug 4, 2010)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$59.99, no rebate or promo code required.

The F3s are VERY fast drives.  This would make a great parity drive (if none of your data drives are larger than 1 TB).  Would also make a great cache drive if you routinely transfer large amounts of data to your server.

Here's my take on it (and this is just my method, it may not work for everyone):

I post any hard drive deal that has a price/capacity ratio of 15 or higher.  So this drive is 1000GB/$60 = 16.67 GB/$.  The recent 2 TB sales have been 2000GB/$100 = 20 GB/$.

I also won't post any deals from Toshiba or Fujitsu because, well, those brands suck.  They generally only make laptop drives so those deals don't come up much anyway.

There's a bit of common sense in there too.  For example I wouldn't post a deal for a Velociraptor (sp?) drive since it would be wasted on an unRAID server.  Once in a while I post something not server related, but I try to minimize that.

Here's my take on it (and this is just my method, it may not work for everyone):

I post any hard drive deal that has a price/capacity ratio of 15 or higher.  So this drive is 1000GB/$60 = 16.67 GB/$.  The recent 2 TB sales have been 2000GB/$100 = 20 GB/$.

I also won't post any deals from Toshiba or Fujitsu because, well, those brands suck.  They generally only make laptop drives so those deals don't come up much anyway.

There's a bit of common sense in there too.  For example I wouldn't post a deal for a Velociraptor (sp?) drive since it would be wasted on an unRAID server.  Once in a while I post something not server related, but I try to minimize that.

Sounds good!

Only exception is I personally won't post any deals for Seagate 5900 RPM drives because even though I love Seagate for everything else, I hate those drives. I mean look, here it is at $99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413&cm_re=5900_rpm-_-22-148-413-_-Product

And I have been ignoring it. I have one of them left from my big buy (a 1.5TB one) and it needs to be RMA (go figure) and I am seriously considering just giving it away in an exclosure to a family member or something just to get them out of my life forever after it comes back.

Oh?  I didn't know of any recent problems with Seagate drives.  Are the 5900s unreliable, or are the firmware problems back?

I find them to be really unreliable. I have had a few of the 1.5s and 2tbs. I LOVE their 7200 RPM drives, and I thought I would be cheap once. Bad move.

I used to be real rough on my drives. I will admit that. But even then the drives would die in weird ways I never see other drives die. My 7200 RPM drives would throw up months of smart data before going out. With the 5900 RPM bad boys one day its just gone. Crazy bad.

And they are pretty slow compared to the 7200 RPM drives- the extra 400 RPM over a normal green drive seems to do nothing. Honestly, I think my EARS drive is faster but I purposefully passed on my 2TB 5900 RPM drive so I can't compare.

And its not just me- the model I linked to has three eggs on Newegg. With a drive with no firmware problems (at least admitted ones), that is appalling. Its kinda crazy really.

Here is the external that uses the drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148503

Again three Eggs. So I know its not just me!

But again, Seagate is my favorite HD company. The 7200 RPM drives rock, and my new Barracuda XT super rocks. But I will never buy another of those 5900 RPM models....

I've had a 5900 since the days they came out, It's been solid.

I'm not sure if it's something in the shipping.

As for the 2TB I see allot of unhappy people.

I think we're hitting the threshold of what these can reliably handle.

Add to that some questionable shipping and you have a timebomb.

There were many complaints about the 7200 1.5tb's but mine have been solid too.

There's a bit of common sense in there too.  For example I wouldn't post a deal for a Velociraptor (sp?) drive since it would be wasted on an unRAID server.  Once in a while I post something not server related, but I try to minimize that.

Actually I think a velociraptor as a cache drive would be pretty good.

What do I consder a good deal,  At least $20 off normal price, 30ish with rebate, free shipping.

Large Hard drives (for the time period) at $99 or so. This usually makes me bite.

So a 2TB drive at 99 free shipping is a good deal to me.

A 1tb at the 50 mark is a good deal to me.

In respect to these Samsung Spinpoint F3's.  I know they are fast. and I plan to use them in other places then unRAID, so at $59 where they were $79 the other day, That's a pretty good deal for this drive model.

I'm going to wait on the hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM until I see a $99 deal.

Only for the fact I really don't need it and I would be buying it right now just to benchmark

When I start to outgrow my 10 1TB 5400 green spindles, I'll be looking to up the width of the spindle.

For now I'm sorta playin.

I've had a 5900 since the days they came out, It's been solid.

I'm not sure if it's something in the shipping.

Yeah, I have 12 of the 2TB 5900rpm Seagates running, not a problem with any of them. Well, one has a few more high fly writes than I'd like to see, but it's still far below the failing threshold. Overall I've been pleased with them. I'll keep buying them until 4TB drives come on the market.

Looks like this is now just the normal price, no sale, promo code, or MIR needed:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$59.99

This is great news!

Ive been pricing 1TB drives for my OpenFiler FC SAN that I use for my ESX servers.  I need 4 of them for a new RAID 1+0 array.

These just might be the ticket if they are as fast and reliable as the reviews claim.

80MB/s write / upto 150MB/s read.

Those were my benchmarks on single drives.

Archived