Share uses cache despite setting

joelones

So I'm in the midst of setting up another unRAID system and I have a share called movies which every time I move something in there gets put on the cache drive, despite the setting "use cache disk" set to No. I'm moving from a share temp (cache only) on an SSD to a share on the array. So a manual move from:

/mnt/user/temp (use cache disk: only) 

to

/mnt/user/movies (use cache disk: no) 

becomes

/mnt/cache/movies/...

None of my dockers reference /mnt/cache...

Not sure what going here or how to get back the normal behaviour, using 6.5.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 2.30.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 2.30.21 PM.png

1 minute ago, joelones said:

/mnt/user/temp (use cache disk: only) 

to

/mnt/user/movies (use cache disk: no) 

becomes

/mnt/cache/movies/...

When using the command line, some of the use cache settings become either strange or convoluted.

In your case, you're moving from /mnt/user/temp to /mnt/user/movies.  Linux (actually  every OS in existence) is smart enough to realize that the mount point for both the temp and movies is /mnt/user, so it does a simple rename operation.  Net result is that your file winds up on the cache drive in apparent violation of the rules.

Two ways around this normal behavior

copy from /mnt/user/temp to /mnt/user/movies

Or,

move from /mnt/cache/temp to /mnt/user/movies.  Very important here though is since you mixing disk shares and user shares to make 100% that the share name (in this case, temp and movies) is NOT identical.  Otherwise you will corrupt your files.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

When using the command line, some of the use cache settings become either strange or convoluted.

In your case, you're moving from /mnt/user/temp to /mnt/user/movies.  Linux (actually  every OS in existence) is smart enough to realize that the mount point for both the temp and movies is /mnt/user, so it does a simple rename operation.  Net result is that your file winds up on the cache drive in apparent violation of the rules.

Two ways around this normal behavior

copy from /mnt/user/temp to /mnt/user/movies

Or,

move from /mnt/cache/temp to /mnt/user/movies.  Very important here though is since you mixing disk shares and user shares to make 100% that the share name (in this case, temp and movies) is NOT identical.  Otherwise you will corrupt your files.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Archived