Can DOM on Qnap TS-659 pro ii be used as cache ?

Don't really understand your question in the context of this forum. This is the unRAID forum. Are you talking about using some or all of your QNAP for unRAID?

From googling it appears the DOM is a flash device in QNAP which holds the OS.

Cache in unRAID has a totally different purpose. There would be no point in 512MB cache in unRAID.

There is a flash device in unRAID which holds the OS archives and some of the OS settings. The flash device is normally a USB flash drive. It must have a unique GUID for the unRAID license. 512MB might be big enough but I wouldn't recommend it. Whether or not the "DOM" would even work for this purpose I don't know. And, a USB flash drive that we know would work and would be plenty big enough is very inexpensive, so I would say there is no point in bothering with this.

So, maybe if you could tell us what you have in mind for unRAID we could make better suggestions.

Thanx for the quick reply, it was just now that i have unRAID runinng on a QNAP nas, from a usb stick, the DOM on the QNAP is not in use and i thought maybe it could be used as a cache. But as you stated no point in 512MB cache in unRAID. I just thought that 512MB would be better than none.

Edited by Peter Kejser
13 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

The DOM is slow as a slow thing on it's holiday.  They're only running off USB2, and they're only designed to store configs and boot the OS.  If you're getting 2MB/s from it, you'd be lucky.

I wouldn't bother.

Not only would it be too slow to be useful as unRAID cache, but with only 512MB it would be pretty hard to even contrive a scenario where this little space could be used as cache. unRAID only works with files on any of its storage devices. It never "caches" partial files except in the normal linux I/O RAM buffer.

Probably it is similar to unRAID boot flash, which we don't use for any intensive I/O either since it is slow and not really recommended for a lot of writing.

• 1 year later...