(SOLVED) Preclear fail on two separate drives

Hello!

After some advice.

I have been running unRAID for around 9 months now and have come around to upgrading two disks in the system.

Disk 1 is a USB3 drive which contains a 6TB hard disk. I plan to shuck this drive after a successful pre-clear.

Disk 2 is a SATA SSD which I plan to put in a two drive cache setup. This drive replaces a previous disk that utilised the same controller port / sata cable

The Disk 1 (USB3 drive) has just failed a preclear at stage 5 which is Post-Read verification. Spooked me at first but that's why we preclear right! I ensured that the USB3 cable was away from any interference and have kicked it off again.

Whilst this drive is attempting its second preclear I kicked off the same on Disk 2 (sata SSD) which also failed at the Post-Read verification. At this point I'm getting even more worried.

I understand that there is a chance that both drives are unfit along with a chance that there is a system issue (eg RAM related)

I'm planning on performing a memtest (which will take the array off line) but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by Impossible
(SOLVED)

Attempted to run a memtest over night - The version I used seems to have a bug in the SMP module and froze after a short time. This meant I missed out on memtest'ing over night :(

More details over at this Reddit post

I decided to throw the disks in another machine and added a third as a test. One is still carrying out the preclear (the Disk 1 USB3 drive) but the other two in a different unRAID box both failed!

Hmmmm

16 hours ago, Impossible said:

Disk 2 is a SATA SSD which I plan to put in a two drive cache setup.

16 hours ago, Impossible said:

I kicked off the same on Disk 2 (sata SSD) which also failed at the Post-Read verification. At this point I'm getting even more worried.

1 hour ago, Mat1926 said:

I never used the preclear plugin before and I don't know if you did set it up differently for the SSD, but I thought the preclear is meant for mechanical hard drives...am I wrong? or perhaps you are doing something entirely different....

+1      See here:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/16695-preclear-ssd/

The failure modes of an SSD are radically different than for a spinning HD.   Preclear is intended to test spinners--- not SSD's.  The actual 'clearing' function of Preclear is now performed by unRAID in the background takes only a few minutes with the size of most SSD's.  

2 hours ago, Impossible said:

Attempted to run a memtest over night - The version I used seems to have a bug in the SMP module and froze after a short time. This meant I missed out on memtest'ing over night :(

More details over at this Reddit post

I decided to throw the disks in another machine and added a third as a test. One is still carrying out the preclear (the Disk 1 USB3 drive) but the other two in a different unRAID box both failed!

Hmmmm

Currently there's a known bug in 0.9.5/6 preventing disks from being correctly cleaned. Will let you know when fixed.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/29/2018 at 8:36 AM, gfjardim said:

Currently there's a known bug in 0.9.5/6 preventing disks from being correctly cleaned. Will let you know when fixed.

Hey, gfjardim, this is the second time I've seen you post something similar to this, and I keep getting Post-Read failures, no matter what drive I try to clear, so I'm wondering if this is still an issue and if there is an ETA on when we will see a fix?