Comparing the Zotac ZBOX and the Acer Aspire Revo as HTPCs

Rajahal

Thanks Tight_wad, that worked!  Looking at the Lifehacker thread, none of the options (adjust iGPU Frame Buffer and "Boot to Revoboot" *I'm guessing "Quick Boot" for the Zbox*) are anywhere.  Any suggestions on what to change?  Or just leave well enough alone?  

These are the items that I changed in my zboxes

#  Load optimal settings

# Change IDE SATA drive from IDE to AHCI.

# Changed power saving to S3

# Enabled the video to repost on resume.

# Disable hyperthreading.

Found these on the XBMC wiki doing a search there for zbox.

One small problem I have, is that my Harmony remote does not seem able to wake it  from sleep (PowerToggle key).

My MCE remote won't wake it either.  I believe it is a software configuration issue, as I've read reports of others waking their Zbox with a remote.  I haven't had time to delve into it yet.

All of mine wake up correctly.  2 with the Harmony One remote, and 1 with the Harmony 300.

Did you edit your

/etc/rc.local

with the following lines, placed above the last line that says   Exit 0

sh -c 'echo "USB1"'> /prox/acpi/wakeup

sh -c 'echo "USB2"'> /prox/acpi/wakeup

sh -c 'echo "USB3"'> /prox/acpi/wakeup

You don't only have to do the one that the Ir is plugged into, but I did those 3.

And also, don't use the usb ports for the remote IR that is between the sata and ethernet plug ins.  I read somewhere that can be an issue for the remote wakeup.

What about buying the Zbox (which does have optical out) and then just strapping it to an external slim DVD drive?  Probably the cheapest option you'll find, though it does lose points for elegance.

I am using this exact same one.  It didn't work at first, and I thought that I had a lock issue.  But then I remember someone, I think it was you Rajahal, that recommended beating on things sometimes is a good thing.  Smacked it once and it has work great ever since!

I didn't strap them together, it just sits next to the base of my flat screen.  Can't hardly tell it is even there.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats close, but I need digital audio out to connect to a receiver.

My Revo doesnt have digital audio out so I used a usb to digital audio adapter to my receiver.

This isnt the one I have but is similar:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118007&cm_re=usb_audio_adapter-_-29-118-007-_-Product

Works perfect.

Think I'm going with the ZBOX and an external Blu-Ray Reader. The external readers are cheaper than the slim internal ones.

I went for an Acer Revo 3700 mainly to help out the development on the OpenELEC project.

From unpacking the box to full OS install + XBMC took 3 minutes.

Only one config change is needed to make the sound work.

Flawless 1080p and SD upscaling over HDMI with a boot time to rival SSD with XBMC live (without SSD installed)

I am thinking of switching my units over to the OPENELEC.tv soon.  I have played with it on my laptop, and it is definitely fast.  And I seen some improvements with my video playback (possible due to updated drivers maybe).  Hopefully, this will improve my Zboxes minor playback issues too.

Only changes I had to make with the regular XBMclive was for getting my remotes to work.  As long as the remote and video sound works in OPENELEC, I see any reason not to go this route.

I also like the fact that they have an "auto update".  Once activated, you only have to do a reboot to update to their latest software. 

Has anyone here try the OPENELEC on the Zbox hd-ID11 recently that could offer their opinion? 

I went for an Acer Revo 3700 mainly to help out the development on the OpenELEC project.

Flawless 1080p and SD upscaling over HDMI with a boot time to rival SSD with XBMC live (without SSD installed)

Would you mind posting/pointing me to a walk through?  Last night I scanned through OpenELEC.tv and downloaded all the various programs the documentation had and I started to get a little overwhelmed!  I guess like everything, it's a little daunting until you actually do it. 

One small problem I have, is that my Harmony remote does not seem able to wake it  from sleep (PowerToggle key).

My MCE remote won't wake it either.  I believe it is a software configuration issue, as I've read reports of others waking their Zbox with a remote.  I haven't had time to delve into it yet.

All of mine wake up correctly.  2 with the Harmony One remote, and 1 with the Harmony 300.

Did you edit your

/etc/rc.local

with the following lines, placed above the last line that says   Exit 0

sh -c 'echo "USB1"'> /prox/acpi/wakeup

sh -c 'echo "USB2"'> /prox/acpi/wakeup

sh -c 'echo "USB3"'> /prox/acpi/wakeup

You don't only have to do the one that the Ir is plugged into, but I did those 3.

And also, don't use the usb ports for the remote IR that is between the sata and ethernet plug ins.  I read somewhere that can be an issue for the remote wakeup.

Thanks, but I'm using windows7, so no rc.local :-) I've been using the MCE standby tool http://slicksolutions.eu/ to troubleshoot this, without much progress so far. I'll try moving the IR receiver to a different USB port. I'm going to report back if I get it working...

Thanks, but I'm using windows7, so no rc.local :-) I've been using the MCE standby tool http://slicksolutions.eu/ to troubleshoot this, without much progress so far. I'll try moving the IR receiver to a different USB port. I'm going to report back if I get it working...

Not sure if this will help, but found this on the XBMC site.

...go to the power settings in Windows 7 and then edit the power profile settings. From here go to the advanced settings then "USB Settings" and disable "USB selective suspend setting".

Or possibly in Device manager, properties, power management for the usb or IR, and set to "allow this device to wake up computer".

Not sure if this will help, but found this on the XBMC site.

...go to the power settings in Windows 7 and then edit the power profile settings. From here go to the advanced settings then "USB Settings" and disable "USB selective suspend setting".

Or possibly in Device manager, properties, power management for the usb or IR, and set to "allow this device to wake up computer".

Both those setting were already correct, but... Moving the receiver to a different port seems to have fixed the problem (I was using one of the two ports between the network and the eSata connectors). I am not sure that it is all that is required, I will run a few more tests. Meantime thanks to Tight_wad.  ;D

Which USB port is used seems to make a difference. For instance, after moving my wireless keyboard to the port previously used by the receiver, I lost the ability to wake the zbox from the keyboard (which was working fine all along).

In summary, USB ports between nic and DVI: good. Ports between nic and eSata: no good

Would you mind posting/pointing me to a walk through?  Last night I scanned through OpenELEC.tv and downloaded all the various programs the documentation had and I started to get a little overwhelmed!  I guess like everything, it's a little daunting until you actually do it. 

Pick  the right version. ION x64 for my ION2.

Download

Unzip to desktop

Run the make USB command. this will blank the USB key you choose

Boot HTPC with USB

Press install

Done

Download

Unzip to desktop

Boot HTPC with USB

Press install

Done

Question about your choice of x64.

I thought I read that if you have 4gb to use x64 and 2gb should use x32?  Is this not a correct rule of thumb?  I was uncertain which one I would choose myself.

Download

Unzip to desktop

Boot HTPC with USB

Press install

Done

Question about your choice of x64.

I thought I read that if you have 4gb to use x64 and 2gb should use x32?  Is this not a correct rule of thumb?  I was uncertain which one I would choose myself.

I read that last night as well, but thanks to you guys I got OpenELEC up and running on my Zbox!  Had a few minor issues (no sound through HDMI) but I didn't even make the attempt to trouble shoot that.  Sound will be my project today.  I ran into a problem of it hanging after the Zotac splash screen with text saying something like "Could not Open Framebuffer: file or directory not found" and it nearly made me pull my hair out.....Then I plugged in the Network cable and everything booted up straight into XBMC. Strange, but I've seen weirder *shrug*

The Frame buffer this is because of the ION chipset.  There is a thread/how to somewhere that explains how to fix it.

This is from the openelec.tv thread in XBMC

you need to do the following to fix that:

1.) as root, type "mount -o remount,rw /flash"

2.) edit /flash/extlinux.conf and add the following to the end of your KERNEL line: "vga=792" without quotes

save the file, reboot machine, you should now see the openelec splashscreen.