UnRaid Sever wont show on network Windows 10

Ok so I am just going to preface this by saying I am a massive noob to all of this; I decided to build this server (and my unrelated gaming PC) because I wanted to learn/understand this stuff more. I acknowledge my ignorance but I could really use some help if nothing else at least be pointed in the right direction.

I just set up my brand new UnRaid system a few days ago and for the most part things have been going well. I have been following online tutorials especially those from Spaceinvader One for setting up the server, what plug-ins to have, etc; but now that I am actually trying to put data onto my server I can't get the UnRaid sever to show up on the network.

I want to be able to transfer files over the network from my laptop to the new UnRaid server but no matter what I google I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to set it up. I tried fiddling with settings based on a few posts I saw around the forums but nothing seems to work.

(To clarify I can connect to the web GUI just fine for my UnRaid server but can't see it on the network for file transfer. )

Sorry to make a post for a topic which is probably supper common knowledge for most but for me I'm up a creek with out a paddle and I can't swim >_>  So any help is appreciated. If I need to give any settings or info just let me know I just had no idea what might be necessary.  

Cheers

Edited by CaptionDozla

Windows 10 SMB is a bit of a mess.  MS keeps making changes to it on the basis of increasing security.  And each of the three main varieties (Home, PRo and Enterprise) are all at different points in the progress.  But you can begin by reading this page and see if anything there will fix your computer so that it will work.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/?page=2

One quick thing that you can try is to enter the IP address of your server on the Address Bar of Windows Explorer  (Not IE)  in this format:  \\192.168.1.243     Please note the backlashes!!!     If this brings up the shares on your server, You can then right click at the left end of that Address Bar and drag it to your desktop.  Then create a shortcut on your desktop.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

One quick thing that you can try is to enter the IP address of your server on the Address Bar of Windows Explorer  (Not IE)  in this format:  \\192.168.1.243     Please note the backlashes!!!     If this brings up the shares on your server, You can then right click at the left end of that Address Bar and drag it to your desktop.  Then create a shortcut on your desktop.

That worked!!! I was reaching my wits end banging my head against this issue >_> I really appreciate your response it is massively appreciated ^_^

You can also add the IP address to the host file in windows. Google the location on your system where it lives. Typically c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host if I’m recalling correctly and get it to resolve hostname that way. You will have to be admin to do it however. Only real caveat. 

Edited by phbigred