Docker Compose - a few questions

Wuast94

Hey I'm new so sry if not found answeres to my questions by my self. 

I have a bigger docker environment and running openmediavault and now I want to switch to unraid. I start all my containers with a docker-compose.yml.

1. Can I run this in unraid too? And how looks the paths? 

2. I have one folder were are all my necessary files..db's etc and run them from ssd and big files from raid. Can unraid handle this? 

I like that I have 1 folder were all my necessary data is. So when my server crash I bought a new..copy the folder..install docker-compose..run 1 command and all my servers boot up without any issues. What I read about unraid is that this is a bit more complicated?

For example...I switch to a new server..can u just plug in the USB Stick..boot up that's it? Or must I reconfigure unraid..set up everything new? 

On 8/25/2018 at 11:17 PM, Wuast94 said:

Can I run this in unraid too?

You can install docker compose via the NerdPack plugin.

And how looks the paths?

All of your files on the drives are all mounted within /mnt/user

I have one folder were are all my necessary files..db's etc and run them from ssd and big files from raid. Can unraid handle this?

Yes.  Generally it's all put into a user share named "appdata", but the organization, placement, naming is all up to you.

So when my server crash I bought a new..copy the folder..install docker-compose..run 1 command and all my servers boot up without any issues. What I read about unraid is that this is a bit more complicated?

Assuming the drives are all the same from the old server, then a boot up will be identical to the old server.  Even with new drives, then the process of reinstalling all of your applications, with the identical ports, path mappings, etc will take you a whopping 30 seconds + the download time to pull the containers

docker-compose

Ultimately, docker compose is a text-based UI for docker itself.  The .yml files simply are a wrapper for the individual docker run commands.  unRaid utilizes a docker interface called dockerMan that removes the need for docker compose, and is full GUI for managing everything docker related on the system.

Archived