(SOLVED) Docker /mnt/cache/appdata vs /mnt/user/appdata

I'm a few days into my trial and the lack of official documentation along with the large amounts of outdated and incorrect documentation, and conflicting information in the forums is driving me bonkers trying to set things up.

Right now I'm trying to understand how to configure docker.

By default appdata was created with `Use cache disk` set to `prefer`. Since this won't guarantee that the data will be on the cache it would follow that you should use `/mnt/user/appdata/` in your docker volumes and settings. I've also seen this recommended on the forums in case your cache drive fills up your docker containers won't have issues.

However the Docker FAQ @Squid on here says to Use cache disk set to `only` and to only use `/mnt/cache/appdata/`

Note: NEVER use /mnt/user/appdata/APP_NAME as the host path for the /config files.  The FUSE md driver does not properly support symlinks which most Docker   applications require (many documented instances of this around the threads).

I'd prefer to use `prefer`; it seems more flexible. Is that bad? If so why is that the default for appdata?

Thanks!

The occasional user has problems using /mnt/user.  Vast majority have zero problems.  I *believe* that half the user's problems comes if they bounce the path back and forth between /mnt/user and /mnt/cache.  My suggestion is to use /mnt/user.  If you happen to have problems with it, then see if /mnt/cache fixes it.

• Like 1

Thanks Squid! I'll go ahead any keep it at `prefer` and /mnt/user. But the FAQ I linked that was posted by you says the opposite (and says "never" maybe it should be updated)? This is what is driving me crazy right now figuring out unraid. I'm new to unraid and I get conflicting info. Same with the preclear stuff. I've both read that you should use it and also that its out of date and you shouldn't, etc etc.

• plasticrake changed the title to (SOLVED) Docker /mnt/cache/appdata vs /mnt/user/appdata
  • 2 years later...

On 8/30/2018 at 3:43 PM, plasticrake said:

But the FAQ I linked that was posted by you says the opposite (and says "never" maybe it should be updated)? This is what is driving me crazy right now figuring out unraid. I'm new to unraid and I get conflicting info.

That drove me crazy too.  and it's made worse since I don't have any confidence in what I am doing, and its difficult for me.