NVIDIA RTX GPU Passthrough

FCruz2489

4 minutes ago, jonp said:

Just to be sure, you are emoji817.png% confident that you have sufficient power in the PSU? The 20-series cards draw a decent amount of power.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

100% confident no - but I'm 99% sure a 600W Corsair 80+ Gold rated PSU is more than enough for this card and my configuration, especially since I'm just booting it up. The card will only consume its peak 225W when at full load which should only happen when gaming or rendering. I am not even able to get the OS to recognize it so as you had previously mentioned its most likely some other hardware issue.

Besides the card I have a 65W CPU at stock clocks and voltage, the mobo, 2 fans, 2 hard drives and 2 SSDs so its not like I'm stressing the PSU at all. 

100% confident no - but I'm 99% sure a 600W Corsair 80+ Gold rated PSU is more than enough for this card and my configuration, especially since I'm just booting it up. The card will only consume its peak 225W when at full load which should only happen when gaming or rendering. I am not even able to get the OS to recognize it so as you had previously mentioned its most likely some other hardware issue.

Besides the card I have a 65W CPU at stock clocks and voltage, the mobo, 2 fans, 2 hard drives and 2 SSDs so its not like I'm stressing the PSU at all. 
Ok first time I think I saw the wattage referenced in this thread. Just wanted to be sure because similar behavior has been seen with previous generations of GPUs in the past when insufficient power is supplied to the card. But you're right. You should have by far and away enough power to run that card.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That’s pretty sweet! I just got a replacement Gigabyte RTX 2080 today - the founder’s edition is on its way back to NVIDIA. Will try to get it going again at some point tonight if I have time. Will start with getting the card recognized first(!) and then move on to GPU and USB passthrough :) 

Just got home and in the 15 minutes before I had to leave for a class, I cracked open the case, installed the new card and booted it up, NO GPU in unRAID.....

Utterly confused I got back into the BIOS and loaded the defaults in a last ditch effort to resolve a potentional problem setting - and something I hadn’t tried yet. Booted back into unRAID and voila the card appeared! I feel so dumb BUT I never changed any advanced settings in there so I’m not sure what option caused it. Thanks again to all for the help! Now on to the next step after “plugging it in” :P at some point tonight when I get home 

07FB52F8-9BAA-47B9-8675-5381CD90A8C1.png

Hey Guys, so I was able to boot directly into windows on my NVMe drive with the RTX2080 (bypassing the boot to unRAID from the flash drive). Once in there I dumped the card BIOS and copied it over to a flash drive - I also installed the NVIDIA drivers while the card was easily recognized. Once back in unRAID I added the card and audio device to my VM, also had to re-add the NVMe drive (via the XML) as it got removed for some reason. I wasn't able to boot at first, was getting some IOMMU group errors.

Thinking back to @rinseaid's suggestion, I set the PCIe ACS override to 'both' and rebooted the server. Once back in I was able to boot successfully with GPU passthrough and my NVMe drive, although there was definitely an uncomfortably long black screen until the windows login screen finally popped up.

At this point I am all set, I just need to figure out the best way to handle USB devices and for some reason my Logitech receiver's range is absolutely terrible. I have my server connected to my TV and it doesn't even come close to reaching the couch for keyboard and mouse usage (only about 7 feet away), I have to sit 1-2 feet away from the server to get reliable mouse and keyboard performance. I will get a USB extension cable and put the receiver closer to the front of the TV to see if that helps, if not I am also thinking about the possibility of passing through the built in Bluetooth card on my mobo and using BT for mouse and KB connectivity - but will have to do some research to see if that is possible. 

Just wanted to provide a conclusion to this adventure in case someone runs into the same issues and thank you all once again for the help, suggestions and responsiveness. This is an awesome community! 

Just now, david279 said:

You mind uploading that bios file here or to techpowerup? Save some of us the time if we get the same card.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Of course! This is for the GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8G GV-N2080GAMING OC-8GC. I did not have to modify anything with a hex editor, the only change I made was to rename the extension from .bin to .rom (not even sure if I needed to do that or not). 

GigabyteGamingOC_2080_BIOS.rom

Archived