HUS72404CLAR4000 drives

isuelt

Hey guys I'm still trying to solve an issue with these Hitachi HUS72404CLAR4000 drives.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Problem:  In an UnRaid array they get a sustained transfer between 40 - 46 MB/s write speed -  NO Parity drive; single drive array.  But mounted as an Unassigned Device they get a sustained transfer ~ 76 - 80 MB/s 

These write tests are done:
  -  using Krusader from Unassigned drive --> array and array --> unassigned drive
  -  Reboots between any setting change/test

Things I've done so far:

-  turned Turbo Write on and off 
-  Tested  multiple drives (of this kind) in ***3 different motherboards and RAM***

Drive info

Vendor:    HITACHI
Product:    HUS72404CLAR4000
Revision:    C370
Compliance:    SPC-4
User capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Logical block size:    512 bytes
LU is fully provisioned:    
Rotation rate:    7200 rpm
Form factor:    3.5 inches
Logical unit id:    0x5000cca073a37b40
Device type:    disk
Transport protocol:    SAS (SPL-3)
Local time:    Mon Sep 24 12:21:00 2018 PDT
SMART support:    Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support:    Enabled
Temperature warning:    Enabled
SMART health status:    Passed

I thought that maybe this " Logical/Physical Sector Size: 512/512" verses "Logical/Physical Sector Size: 512/4096" on a WD Red drive would have something to do with it, but it doesn't seem to matter the way I set the "Disk Settings" -> "Default Partition Format"

• 2 weeks later...

I found your post because I was having the same issue, oddly I first noticed it on only one of the drives when I was pre-clearing them. the write speed dropped to about 40 MB/s, it only happened when writing zeros on one drive, all other stayed at about 180 MB/s when writing zeros. 

however, after adding the drives to an array, I confirmed that they would all start writing at the expected gigabit network speed of about 110 MB/s, but then drop to 45 MB/s with a few minutes. 

the solution was setting the write cache to enabled as described here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/72862-drive-write-speeds-really-slow-solved/?do=findComment&comment=670028

Archived