Possible two disk failure situation

atxmogul

See attached diagnostics report. Running version 6.2.4. General hardware details below:

• M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - F1A55-M LX PLUS
  • CPU: AMD A6-3500 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 2100
  • HVM: Enabled
  • IOMMU: Disabled
  • Cache: 384 kB, 3072 kB
  • Memory: 8 GB (max. installable capacity 64 GB)
  • Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500
  • Kernel: Linux 4.4.30-unRAID x86_64
  • OpenSSL: 1.0.2j

Server suddenly stopped letting me read/write to a share, so I did what any normal person does: I rebooted the machine. When it came back online, I had two disks showing red. One seems to be there but has some problems in the SMART attributes. The other is just "missing" entirely. See relevant screenshots below:

I've switched out and switched around SATA cables and power cables and I keep getting the same result for both drives. At this point I'm considering them both lost causes, so I've already bought two replacement drives. However, when I stick the two new drives in to try to re-build the array, the "missing" drive won't even go away. See screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/JW3vBvy

So, a few questions:

• First, is there anything else I could/should try to recover either of the two bad disks?
  • Second, if recovery is impossible, how do I rebuild the array with two new disks?

Thanks in advance for your help!

diagnostics-20181030-1859.zip

With two failed disks and just single parity there's no way to recover from the current situation, you can do a new config with the remaining good disk and both new ones and resync parity, when done you can mount old disk2 outside the array and should be able to copy most data from it, data on the missing disk will be lost unless you can get it working again.

Archived