(SOLVED)Unmountable: No file system

barmunk

Hello! Today while I was trying to troubleshoot why I had two or more drives giving me UDMA CRC Error Counts(rising rapidly) I lost disk 2 on a reboot.

A little history on my setup: My motherboard only supports 6EA sata connections and I planned on upgrading to more drives so I recently ordered a LSI 9211-8i(IT mode). I installed it on Nov 1st and everything was running fine. Then yesterday I started noticing all the crc errors so I first changed the sas cables around to see if it was that. After changing cables, swapping connections, and checking connections I noticed the errors were continuing. So I went back to my old setup which was hdds connected straight to motherboard and no raid controller. Once I booted up like that there were no more crc errors but I had lost disk 2 saying unmountable: no file system.

I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶w̶ ̶m̶y̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶?̶
Ran xfs_repair and it failed. Is there anything else I can do now to recover the data/drive?
If there is any information that I left out please let me know.
Thank you for reading my post!

*EDIT:
Ran xfs_repair -n (Uploaded Log)
Ran xfs_repair "option blank" - FAILED (Uploaded Log)

**EDIT: Did as johnnie.black said: new config and parity sync to re build.

***EDIT: This post wasn't really about crc erros but if anyone is interested my crc errors were from my raid card being P20 firmware. Downgraded to P19 and my drives are no longer getting errors.

homeserver-diagnostics-20181104-2208.zip

xfs_repair status - option -n.txt

xfs_repair status - option -blank.txt

Are you running the xfs_repair from the webUI or from the command line? If from the command line, what is the exact command you are entering?

Your diagnostics are showing disk2 is disabled. So, if you are trying to repair from the webUI, it would be trying to repair the emulated disk and not the physical disk. No harm done so far and better than if you tried to use the command line and entered the wrong command.

There are a couple of ways to proceed here but I will wait on your answers to my questions.

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

Are you running the xfs_repair from the webUI or from the command line? If from the command line, what is the exact command you are entering?

I did xfs_repair from the webui.

25 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

log is empty

I re-uploaded the file to my original post.

31 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That looks like a very corrupt filesystem, likely unfixable, since disk2 looks healthy you can see if the old disk is mounting for example with the UD plugin, if yes do a new config and re-sync parity, but note that any data written to the emulated disk, once it got disable, would be lost.

It mounted fine with UD.
For new config I assume you just remove disk 2 from array?

What will re-syncing parity do in this situation?

1 minute ago, barmunk said:

For new config I assume you just remove disk 2 from array?

No, a new config is to use the actual disk2, instead of emulating it, you do a new config with the current disks, then reassign disk2 and resync parity, since parity should be mostly valid you can also trust parity and then run a correcting parity check, all this assuming disk2 is healthy like it looks it is.

I did a new config and I'm doing a parity re-sync now.
Thank you for all the help!
Going to setup a test array on a different computer to test my LSI 9211-8i since I was getting lots of crc errors. I'd like to figure out if it's the raid card before my return window closes.

Archived