Turbo (Reconstruct Write) while drives are spun down

I am a long time freenas user and recently decided to build an unraid server just to check it out. I really like the many features it provides. I have already begun to tinker with it a lot of its features and started building VMs. I also enabling CPU / GPU pass through and really enjoying all the available docker / plugins!

I have now started exploring more of the storage side of things. I have installed x4 8tb WD red drives (1 setup as the parity drive), x4 2tb HGST drives, and x1 Nvme 500GB cache drive.

I am trying to transfer my media over from my freenas and getting about 30-65mbs over the network. Because I am not using my cache drive I assume the slower speeds

I have read about reconstructive write and have downloaded "CA Auto Turbo Write Mode" plugin.

My array is showing its in Turbo (Reconstruct Write) mode as I am copying over some of my media. However I see no increase in performance, furthermore my array shows 5 drives spun down while its still reporting its in Turbo mode ( I thought all drives had to be spun up for turbo mode to work???). Can anyone clear my confusion is the tool reporting turbo mode incorrectly or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, tfast500 said:

I have installed x4 8tb WD red drives (1 setup as the parity drive), x4 2tb HGST drives, and x1 Nvme 500GB cache drive.

5 drives spun down while its still reporting its in Turbo mode

Suppose those 5 drive were 2TB and Nvme, if writing in disk beyond 2TB, then those drive would spindown  was normal. And it is not suggest Nvme be a array member, you may found the post.

30-65mbs over the network

A bit slow, how about other transfer test result, does all was that ? Pls also confirm no other disk operation concurrent running.

Edited by Benson
17 hours ago, Benson said:

Suppose those 5 drive were 2TB and Nvme, if writing in disk beyond 2TB, then those drive would spindown  was normal. And it is not suggest Nvme be a array member, you may found the post.

A bit slow, how about other transfer test result, does all was that ? Pls also confirm no other disk operation concurrent running.

Ok that makes sense this is probably what was going on... spun down because the disk was beyond what the other drives were capable of

:)

the speeds are when using krusader to transfer (i thought would be more efficient then from an outside host but i was wrong. if i copy files from one server to another from a 3rd machine my speeds are much faster 78-105 Mb/s not sure why that is... my only issue now is i have to have that 3rd machine on and make sure it doesn't lose connection.....

18 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You don't need the plugin to enable turbo write, just change the write method to "reconstruct write" on Settings -> Disk Settings

I was following some you-tube videos and that plugin also gives more options then the one under "disks" which only has auto or reconstruct write...

how efficient is the auto mode? It doesn't allow me to choose how many disks to be spun up before using reconstructive write automatically.

5 hours ago, tfast500 said:

I was following some you-tube videos and that plugin also gives more options then the one under "disks" which only has auto or reconstruct write...

It does but since it weasn't working...

5 hours ago, tfast500 said:

how efficient is the auto mode?

Auto mode isn't implemented yet.

• 2 years later...

I firmly believe Reconstruct Write was a big proponent in why my last install of UnRAID went terribly and became a huge headache. Perhaps it's fine with smaller disks but with 12TB disks the parity check would fail and the system was prone to locking up and needing a hard reset. It took no less than a week of my life and then some to whittle down the diagnosis and reinstall.