How to backup unraid shares using Restic

blink

My Crashplan subscription finally ran out and I've been trying to get Restic to work on Unraid, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do this.  There is a docker image but I can't get it to work.  So it seems like I have to install it on Unraid.  I've never done this on Unraid so I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Should I install an Ubuntu VM and run Restic backup from there?  Or is there a better way of doing this?  My goal is to use Restic to backup to another server (NFS or SMB?) and to a cloud-based storage solution like Wasabi or Backblaze B2. 

Any help on how to go about doing this for someone who is not the most proficient with CLI is appreciated.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this is old, but there's precious few discussions on Restic.

I'm considering Restic, Borg or Duplicacy for backups too (for both clients and unRAID). I've found some guides on Borg and Duplicacy. I've given Duplicacy i whirl and it works well, but i want to try the others before settling. Hopefully i'll try Borg in the next couple of weeks. My only gripe (i think) with Borg is that its not available on Windows. I use Linux, so i'm ok, but my wife uses Windows, and i need to be able to backup her PC too.

Here's the guide i broadly followed:

Edited by Derek_
  • 2 months later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, Derek_ said:

My only gripe (i think) with Borg is that its not available on Windows. I use Linux, so i'm ok, but my wife uses Windows, and i need to be able to backup her PC too.

I considered this as well and my current plan is to have all my devices backing up to an Unraid share, then I'll use Borg, Borgmatic, or Restic to backup to another location. (if I can get something working)

5 hours ago, hypercoffeedude said:

I considered this as well and my current plan is to have all my devices backing up to an Unraid share, then I'll use Borg, Borgmatic, or Restic to backup to another location. (if I can get something working)

I still haven't got my unRAID up - i just bought the license and some HDDs last week after a bit of saving up.

For memory, Borg can SSH across to another device - so there's no need to add Restic into the mix unless you want to upload it to BackBlaze or something. Though my memory is vague, i think there's some rsync options too?

Indeed, Rclone is also an option. I'm choosing to use Restic because Borg requires it's own server on the remote host. I am pushing everything directly to BackBlaze B2 right now. I just spun up an Ubuntu Server VM and installed Restic, now I just have to set up some scripts to automate backups for certain shares. Restic also works well with Windows 10, although I've heard Borg will also work with the Windows 10 Linux subsystem. They seem very similar in the ways they work. This site gives a good explanation: https://stickleback.dk/borg-or-restic/