Issues with multi-NIC setup

Hi all,

Currently testing Unraid to determine if it's going to work for my small-business NAS project. I am unfortunately having some issues with the network configuration.

I am trying to use a 4-port Intel I350-T4 NIC to aggregate towards my storage network. Ideally, I don't want any management traffic happening there - that's what the onboard Gigabit ASUS link is for.

While configuring this, I noticed that my bond0 kind of mangles the sequence of interfaces. eth2 appears to become my onboard interface, and the rest (eth0, eth1, eth3, eth4) the other interfaces.

WO67TUX2.png

Okay, no problem I thought, I'll just reassign the bond members to reflect this setup, but that just seems to break Unraid beyond belief. It seems to be impossible to remove eth0 from bond0 for starters, even if I manually edit /boot/conf/network.cfg -- it seems to either break or revert its configuration. 

yl94iWwH.png

Does anyone have any experience with this? Not being able to properly configure my bond is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I have tried:

• Removing the configuration file to get the vanilla conf back -- the interfaces are still scrambled;
  • Removing the card and resetting the configuration file. In this case, it does something interesting.. it creates an eth0 and eth1 which both seem to point to the bridge;
  • Manually editing the configuration file to just reassign the interfaces -- doesn't work and breaks Unraid entirely.

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: attached entire configuration page.

screencapture-192-168-2-232-Settings-NetworkSettings-2018-12-25-16_39_48.png

Edited by Running Joke

Its a convention I think.

bond0 must contain eth0

So if you want to exclude eth0. Turn off bonding for eth0 "Enable bonding: No". then enable bonding for any other interface - which will create bondX - X being the lowest number member of the bond

You probably need to be ready to boot unRAID in local GUI mode, so you can easily mess with the network interfaces.

If you can't, you can power down. and modify the config/network-rules.cfg file manually to force unraid which NIC is eth0 and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 12:55 AM, ken-ji said:

Its a convention I think.

bond0 must contain eth0

So if you want to exclude eth0. Turn off bonding for eth0 "Enable bonding: No". then enable bonding for any other interface - which will create bondX - X being the lowest number member of the bond

You probably need to be ready to boot unRAID in local GUI mode, so you can easily mess with the network interfaces.

If you can't, you can power down. and modify the config/network-rules.cfg file manually to force unraid which NIC is eth0 and so on.

Yep -- exactly! Changing network-rules.cfg did the trick.