Cool remote for a media centre??

DigitalDivide

So if i picked up one of those what would i need to do

take out the 1gig of ram and add a 2gig stick in.....add a ssd....buy a remote

anything else?

Mine worked just fine with the 1Gig of ram.  Don't need an SSD unless you want absolute silence.  Even then there are inexpensive alternatives for complete silence.  I installed a CF to SATA adapter and a 4Gig Compact-Flash card in my 1600. 

I am running the xbmcfreak version http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/ as it better supported the audio chipset in the revo 1600. The version I used is: xbmcfreak-1000-beta2-t3.zip

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have the Revo but i do have an ION based system.  I am using the openelec version of XBMC and it is working pretty well so far.  Was on the openelec forum and IRC last night figure out the remote issues with the developer.  My JetWay Mini-top has built in IR and comes with a remote but the remote did not work out of the box.  He built a new version for me last night and I tested it out before i went to bed.  It is mostly working now, though a few buttons are not doing what i want them to.

Hopefully i will get to mess with it a little bit more tonight and iron everything out.

I highly recommend the openelec version of XBMC!!  The dev is very helpful, releases new build frequently, and willing to answer questions.

WOW.....then this gives me some more options....if i do decide to upgrade to a ssd then i can do it later so I can continue to focus on getting the parts to get my unraid server up and running.... ;)

in that base configuration are there any skins or anything that will choke...lol?

I highly recommend the openelec version of XBMC!!  The dev is very helpful, releases new build frequently, and willing to answer questions.

Agreed! I have used it in the past and its really fast! I can only imagine it on an SSD! Right now I am usinf the same as Joe. L. which is XBMCFreak 1000 T2 beta 3 and it is also working excellent on the Revo.

I'm using the standard version of XBMC.  Are these other versions basically just different skins, or is there more to it than that?

Are you running Dharma-beta2.  If so same version.  Difference in xbmcfreak version are

- Nvidia 260.19.06 drivers

- Ubuntu Audio Dev team PPA

- /etc/pm/sleep.d/74network-resume.sh added

- added echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup to rc.local

- grub2 uses an universally supported resolution (800×600), avoid blank ttys (Ctrl-Alt-F1/F6)

- vsync 2 for nvidia cards enabled

- fixes for sabnzbd, use http://ip-address:9999/wizard to configure the first time

- .xml config files creation fixed

- fixes for torrenttransmission

- apache servername added

- ssh slowdown trying to fix for some users (UseDNS no, GSSAPIAuthentication no)

Basically, I did not get HDMI sound when I tried the official beta-2 version. I think their Live version did not have the drivers for the Revo 1600 or had the wrong version when I tried to upgrade. (It then did not detect a sound card) 

The skins are exactly the same, loaded through the add-on manager.  It only comes with one skin, you can add others.  I'm not using the other packages they also included for sabnzbd, torrents, apache, or S3 sleep so cannot comment on them.

Joe L.

No, I think I'm using the current stable (Camelot).  I do get HDMI sound, though I choose to use Analog sound because my speaker system is old school (soon to be replaced, I hope).

The only thing missing from my HTPC is the ability to turn it on with the remote.  I've tried just never turning it off, but it seems to put itself to sleep or turn itself off after a while anyway.  These two definitely look promising:

- /etc/pm/sleep.d/74network-resume.sh added

- added echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup to rc.local

Are you able to turn on your HPTC with the remote?

Tried only once, don't remember which version. Did not recognize remote.  I know there was a linux kernel issue involved in some current releases.  Isn't an issue for me since the unit is on 24/7 regardless.

Tried only once, don't remember which version. Did not recognize remote.  I know there was a linux kernel issue involved in some current releases.  Isn't an issue for me since the unit is on 24/7 regardless.

Did you have to change yours to never sleep or something?  Like I said, mine goes to sleep after a while and only the power button on the unit (not on the remote) will wake it.  Or do you and your wife just watch that many movies? :P

the openelec build is based off of Dharma beta2 and includes a few different things.

You can check it out here.  There is a history of commits from git along with a change log included in the download.

The dev usually keeps up with new kernel releases in his builds and he just put in place eventlircd, which i guess is supposed to help support more remotes out of the box, and do it much easier.

Did you have to change yours to never sleep or something?  Like I said, mine goes to sleep after a while and only the power button on the unit (not on the remote) will wake it. 

Mine never sleeps for that reason.

My screen goes dim, but I do not have it set to go to sleep.

I have the shutdown function timer set to "Off"

Joe L.

I use WMC on my HTPCs - mostly to run MyMovies for dvd and bd movies.

Recently I have been using an iPad app called iRule. The panels / pages are built online and sync'd to the ipad app. It uses gateways (ip, ir, RS232) to control HTPC and AV. Here are some shots of a couple of my panels:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k1photos/sets/72157624845344475/

One of the nice things is that it is fully customisable with gestures as well as touch. There is a WMC HTPC software (Kinder) which gives access to all wmc remote and keyboard commands. It also supports WOL so its a breeze to bring your HTPC out of sleep. So far I am very happy with the results. I believe is a XMBC device driver for control over tcp/ip.

I really like the gesture thing for swiping across to scroll through my movie covers. I can also have a keyboard which makes finding a title from 650+ movies easier. I was using the little logitech dinovo hand-held keyboard before - but this is a much more elegant solution. The ability to control HTPC and AV from the same interface is hard to beat...

That does look nice, sort of similar to Collect3.  Does iRule run on any i-device (iPhone, iPod, etc), or is it only for the iPad?

From what i can tell its a Free app for Ipad/Iphone and you have to pay for the Builder part of the program by going to there website. I went there and almost passed out when i saw the cost of the Builder site!  $ 49.95!

Archived