How to determine free space?

CaptainTivo

I recently got a red flag from Fix Common Problems saying that one of my disks was almost full.  On the main GUI page, disk10 is an 8 TB drive that shows 7.24 TB used and 760 GB free.  When it do a 'du' on this disk, it reports 6.6TB used.  This implies that the file system overhead is about 640 GB.  This seems high for xfs. 

Also, I have set this disk as a single disk share and when mounted via SMB, my Windows machine reports it to have a capacity of 14.5TB with 8.18 TB used and 6.36 TB free!  This is strange because when I had a Reisfs disk as this share, windows size reports were pretty accurate.

Any thoughts?

The warning is a result of the setting on the   Settings   >>>  Disk Settings   page.   The default settings of 80%(?) for warning  and 90%(?) for critical are probably a bit low for large HD's like your 8TB.  You can change these percentages for each individual disk    Main >>>  Disk X   >>>  Disk X Settings(tab/section)  if you have a wide range of disk sizes.  

13 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

The warning is a result of the setting on the   Settings   >>>  Disk Settings   page.   The default settings of 80%(?) for warning  and 90%(?) for critical are probably a bit low for large HD's like your 8TB.  You can change these percentages for each individual disk    Main >>>  Disk X   >>>  Disk X Settings(tab/section)  if you have a wide range of disk sizes.  

Thanks but I would still like to know if XFS is really using 8% of the drive as overhead.

1 hour ago, CaptainTivo said:

Thanks but I would still like to know if XFS is really using 8% of the drive as overhead.

I think the GUI works in decimal GB (1GB=1000MB) to match how vendors quote their disks while du works in computer GB (1GB=1024MB) which probably explains the difference.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

I think the GUI works in decimal GB (1GB=1000MB) to match how vendors quote their disks while du works in computer GB (1GB=1024MB) which probably explains the difference.

Absolutely right.  Using du --si gets 7.3T  close enough.  I had forgotten that -h gives powers of 2.

Thanks.

Archived