Copy to Share over 10gig speed is droping

redQs

Hello,

i installed an Mellanox ConnectX - 2 10gbit NIC at my Unraid and my PC.

I just use it directly between my Unraid and my windows PC.

If 1 datei is on my ssd cach i can copy it over the 10gig to my pc ssd with full speed. it works just normal / fine.

The problem is if i try to write to my share / ssd cache it starts good but than it drops after some sec like you can see in the picture.

I saw that my CPU is going to but some cores to 100%. but it change the cores the hole time till the copy is finish.

Do you know why my copy to the share is droping like this?

Is my CPU singel core speed to bad?

Its an I7 3770k.

Do you think my ssd is broken?

I got 18 retired blocks.

Thanks for your answer right now.

redQs

1734784040_2019-04-1718_19_48-Tower_DashboardOpera.png.de03c3440ee67f59f0ea7d2e1a2300a3.png

6 hours ago, redQs said:

its my old OCZ-VERTEX3.

So you think its the writing speed of the ssd.

I have 10GBe as well. I have tried dozens of sata ssd's, and even the high end ones like the Samsung 860 Pro, don't have great sustained write speed. You'll need to go with an NVMe or a PCIe AIC.

6 hours ago, redQs said:

but why is the cpu at 100%? 

The Mellanox ConnectX offloads processing to the CPU.

6 hours ago, redQs said:

Is once a week trimming enough?

Once a week should be fine. Even less of you don't write to it often.

6 hours ago, redQs said:

Which one can sustain like 500mb/s the hole copy process?

I'm using an older Xeon board so no M.2 slots so I went with this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/gaming-enthusiast-ssds/optane-900p-series/900p-280gb-aic-20nm.html

I get around 550-610 Mb/s transfer to my Unraid box. And that's only limited to the read speed of my lower end NVMe drive in my desktop.

That card would work it does only support M.2 SSD.

this card is NVMe compatible https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQBQB6Z/?coliid=I1HGOE3XIBG8FK&colid=E4L84U552910&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For best performance you'll want to use a good NVMe drive like the Intel Optane NVMe or a Samsung 870 Pro. You can also use multiple SSD/NVMe drives in your cache and make them RAID0 instead of RAID1. That will give you better performance but loose the redundancy if one cache drive fails.

Also check your BIOS and make sure the PCIe slot you want to install it in can be configured to a 4x4x4x4x and not just a 16x slot. If it can not break out the PCIe lanes that card will still work but it will only work with one SSD, but if the lanes can be split you can have 4 SSDs for cache or whatever else.

Archived