New Users Blog Series: Blog #1

In this inaugural blog in the New Users Blog Series, we talk about:

• Unraid and the USB flash drive
  • Using the USB Flash Creator tool
  • How drives are counted towards the license limit
  • How to reset your root password
  • How to rename your server (Tower)
  • How to change banner images and themes

Check it out and let us know what you think! Have ideas/questions about Unraid that you'd like to see a blog written about? Post them here or send me a DM.

Cheers!

https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-new-users-blog-series

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

For the USB creator tool, please enable UEFI by default, it took a bit of head scratching to figure out why the BIOS shows UEFI as a boot option for USB device, but it does not boot. Once I recreated the USB drive and selected the UEFI option under advanced settings, it showed UEFI and booted UEFI.

From what I understand about the boot format, adding the UEFI option will still allow legacy booting, but not having the UEFI option will break UEFI booting.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, ptr727 said:

For the USB creator tool, please enable UEFI by default, it took a bit of head scratching to figure out why the BIOS shows UEFI as a boot option for USB device, but it does not boot. Once I recreated the USB drive and selected the UEFI option under advanced settings, it showed UEFI and booted UEFI.

From what I understand about the boot format, adding the UEFI option will still allow legacy booting, but not having the UEFI option will break UEFI booting.

Devils Advocate:  There's one downside to UEFI by default.  IIRC, memtest on the boot menu does not work if booted via UEFI

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Devils Advocate:  There's one downside to UEFI by default.  IIRC, memtest on the boot menu does not work if booted via UEFI

Perhaps Limetech could also have the more recent version of Memtest on the USB stick as well, and make that the one loaded when UEFI boot is used.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

Perhaps Limetech could also have the more recent version of Memtest on the USB stick as well, and make that the one loaded when UEFI boot is used.

Is there a more recent version that is licensed for redistribution like that? I was under the impression the reason we still had the old version was that it was the newest available without license issues. Maybe Limetech could put the framework in place, and we could download our own copy and plug it in?

5 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Is there a more recent version that is licensed for redistribution like that? I was under the impression the reason we still had the old version was that it was the newest available without license issues. Maybe Limetech could put the framework in place, and we could download our own copy and plug it in?

The passmark site says "MemTest86 Free Edition is free to download with no restrictions on usage".   That does not mention distribution restrictions )although may be some hidden elsewhere in the fine print).   Another option would be for the Limetech USB Creator tool to offer to download and install it under the UEFI boot option if Limetech do not want to distribute it themselves.