I made a booboo - I think I messed up with New Config

Hey folks,

So in my infinite wisdom - lates nights combined with not a complete understanding of everything I'm doing ... i think I messed up. Here's what's going on and wondering what I should do in case I'm about to hit a point of no return. Running 6.7 btw.

Original setup:

4 Tb Parity

Drives 1,2,3 - each 2 tb

Drives 4,5 - each 4 tb.

Cache drive hasn't been touched nor has my flash drive.

I bought two 8TB drives. Ran a preclear on one, then replaced my parity drive - did a rebuild. all good there.

Pulled out one of the 2 tb drives, replaced it with the original partiy drive... did a rebuild...all good there.

Pulled out another 2 tb drive, Pre cleared my second 8 tb drive. Then that's where I think i went off.

So once the preclear finished - i powered down the server and literally rearranged  the drives (drive five actually doesn't fit in the cage for example, so i put the 2 tb there and then moved the other drives into the box. I then powered on the server and then rearranged the drives in main tab. I got a whole bunch of "wrongs* - which made sense and i understood (it seems incorrectly) as a new config. I went to new config - preserved the assignment for just my parity drive and then hit apply (remember i still had not rebuilt that second 8tb drive).

So when i went to restart the array - i saw a warning that my parity drive would be overwritten. but i also saw a check box that basically said - check here if the parity drive is valid so i did that.

In any event, I fired up the server and it's now doing a parity check but i have a sneaking suspicion (since my docker failed to start and seems to be missing some paths now) that I have potentially FUBARed my system. Have I? Here is my diagnostics file - but would love some advice on what to do here in case i can still get this thing back online pretty simply.

Also - not sure if this helps but the disk i have in slot 4 is also somehow listed under historical devices ... same serial number and everything. so i dunno what that's about.

buddha-diagnostics-20190529-0711.zip

Edited by helpermonkey
added info
14 minutes ago, helpermonkey said:

so basically just pull out the 8tb drive 1 and replace it with the old 2 tb drive - mount it and hit rebuild?

No, mount the old disk with the Unassigned Devices plugin and copy the data to the new disk, you could also replace the disk with the old one and re-sync parity but if the idea is keeping the new disk in the array don't see the point.

okay - so just to be extra clear ... cuz as you can see i know how to screw some ***t up :-)...as I don't have any extra drive slots right now - take out one of my other data drives - replace it with the old 2 tb that has the right data ... fire up the array and mount that 2 tb drive but don't put it into the array - then get something like Krusader up and running and just copy data? when that's done - shut down the array, replace the 2 tb drive that i just got data off of with the original 2 tb drive and fire the array up?

17 minutes ago, helpermonkey said:

as I don't have any extra drive slots right now

In that case either re-sync the old array again, and only when done do a standard disk replacement or disconnect the parity disk and connect the old disk there, don't disconnect other data disk.

so i don't think option a is possible since i've already taken the original 4tb parity and used that to replace a 2tb drive. so i'm going to disconnect the parity drive then and use that slot for the old drive to copy old data off of :-).... one last question - i'm 99% sure which of the 2 tb drives is the one i need to swap but in the case I copy the wrong drive over - what happens when i fire this thing up and it sees 2 data drives that have the same data on them but are different in capacity?

Edited by helpermonkey
7 minutes ago, helpermonkey said:

what happens when i fire this thing up and it sees 2 data drives that have the same data on them but are different in capacity?

Start the array first, then mount the old disk with UD, if it doesn't mount it's the wrong one, i.e., it won't allow to mount a disk with a duplicate UUID.

So i keep going farther down the rabit hole.... i took a camera shot real quick before i started this step...IMG_20190529_103442.thumb.jpg.a41c532dfcc414f4ecad6abae7ddb7aa.jpg

I started the parity check swapped out disk 5 for the old 2 tb (this is before i went to replace the parity drive like you said)....

but in any event the array is running in maintenance mode and now it's telling me there's no file system on drive 4....unraid.thumb.png.edf5bddaba234218d63bd532c220732b.png

thoughts?

There's no filesystems when running in maintenance mode, though not sure why it's only saying that for disk4, but since you started the array without disk5 you can't rebuild it because parity is valid, you'll need to do a new config, and for starters assign only the data disks (and cache), leave parity unassigned, start the array and check all data disks mount OK.

man - i really know how to screw simple things up okay so .... thanks for your patience with me :-).

step 1: shut down array. 

step 2: disk 1 is the blank 8tb.... current disk 5 is the 2tb drive that has the "missing data on it." so pull out disk five and replace it with the 2 tb drive that is all set. so the array will be as follows:

• parity - 8 tb that is all set.
  • disk 1 - 8 tb that is blank (missing the data from that 2 tb drive that is now unplugged).
  • disk 2 - 4 tb that is fine
  • disk 3 - 4 tb that is fine
  • disk 4 - 4 tb that is fine (albeit with that strange message).
  • disk 5 - 2 tb drive that is fine.

step 3: go to tools>new config> select preserve settings for parity and cache drive - select "yes i want to do this", then hit apply.

step 4: start the array and let unraid take it from there?

okay so here's how i set it up this time: am i ready to turn this back on and let the drives sync?

just to be clear - the 8 tb parity drive was properly rebuilt.

disk 1 is empty (and should have data contained on a 2 tb drive sitting outside of the.

disk 2 was never touched (other than being relocated)

disk 3 was never touched (other than being relocated)

disk 4 is the old parity drive that i replaced in the array (up from 2 tbs)

disk 5 was never touched (other than being relocated)

by relocated i mean just moved to a different slot in the case and then given a different disk number in unraid.

so am i ready to hit start?1108021820_unraidcurrent.thumb.png.1779faa28b84163b72f911d11c025e26.png

Since parity is already out of sync and there are no extra ports, I would recommend to unassign it for now, start the array, all disks should mount correctly, then connect old disk instead of parity and copy the data from it to the array, when all is done reconnect parity and sync it.

okay - so - i unassigned the parity drive, removed it, inserted the 2 TB drive, started the array, ... restarted the computer, and mounted the 2 TB drive. Since the drive mounted - it sounds like it means i indeed have the correct 2tb drive. okay so then i launched MC via the start menu and read

amongst other things.  however, as you will see from my setup - i don't see the drives listed - only directories. i want to copy from the unassigned drive to the drive in disk 1 slot but can't figure out how to get that to work ...as in my reading i was told you can only copy disk to disk and share to share. here's a screen cap of the drives. Also notice how it says one of the drives is unmountable? I dunno what's up with that. and if i stop the array it tells me disk 5 is unmountable not disk 4. Meanwhile, just to make sure - you mentioend that a disk won't mount if it's duplicated already and since the unassigned drive mounts - does that confirm that i'm using the right drive?IMG_20190530_231309.thumb.jpg.cd2d07a633969168bfb2bcd1d2a6b82f.jpg

Edited by helpermonkey
9 hours ago, Benson said:

Just type "cd /mnt" in prompt, then you would see "user" and "diskX" share directory. Remember don't perform any disk <-> user operation.

And you need check does the job going on when terminal window closed.

cool - thanks.

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Disk5 didin't mount, don't remember what disk is there, but is that expected?

it's not good but kind of expected right now - the SATA card i've got in there is bad (part of the reason why i moved drives around physically to test) and i'm waiting on a new card to come in.

So so while I wait for the new card if i move down the tree disks displays the directory as the identification info for the drive (aka ST2000VN000-1H3164_W1H2RQHS). so should i copy /mnt/disks/ to /mnt/disk1/ or should i copy the directory one layer down?

IMG_20190531_102909.thumb.jpg.e43e92058388b6182004cd8d25fb70da.jpg