Random freezes

sjogren

A few days ago i was moving my computer. So i shut it off and moved and started it back up again. At that time i noticed some SMART errors in the cache SSD )it was quite old). And thats the first time it crashed. So got a new one and plugged that in. Not sure if i did that correct, probably not.

Since then it freezes at seemingly random, often within a few hours. If i start up a vm it most definitely crashes.

Only have a few plugins, two dockers and a Win 10 vm at the time. 

And I'm a bit of a noob so i have no idea how to fix this.

Need all the help i can get :)

Thanks

tower-diagnostics-20190714-1922.zip

There is a new feature in the most recent Unraid releases for this type of problem.   Go to    Settings        Under the   Network Services    section, click on the Syslog Server   and turn on the 'Mirror syslog to flash:' feature.  Click on the 'Help'  icon in the toolbar for details.  After the next freeze, upload the log file. 

by the way, you have this in your syslog file:

Jul 14 21:19:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount error: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) 

I assume this disk is somehow connected with your WIN10 VM.  

Okey, so just waiting for it to crash again 🙈

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

by the way, you have this in your syslog file:

Jul 14 21:19:02 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount error: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.) 

I assume this disk is somehow connected with your WIN10 VM.  

Yes, you are correct

18 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

There is a new feature in the most recent Unraid releases for this type of problem.   Go to    Settings        Under the   Network Services    section, click on the Syslog Server   and turn on the 'Mirror syslog to flash:' feature.  Click on the 'Help'  icon in the toolbar for details.  After the next freeze, upload the log file. 

New day, new crash...

Hoping this can help solve it.

syslog

Well, i dont really need that extra drive. It was just because i had it laying around and wanted to try something I saw SpaceinvanderOne(?) do on youtube. I'll unplug it and see if that helps.

And since it might have to do with the VM i'll se if i can stress it a bit to force an error.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Just now, jonathanm said:

Describe the materials and condition of the CPU heatsink and fan.

Its a ryzen 2600 with a Noctua NH-U12S. Has worked perfectly upon til this point. Idle temps betwee 30-35°C. Don't really remember how high it went when i stressed it a few month ago, but didn't react to it.

Update, as i wrote this message

Seems like you are on to something because as soon as i hit the CPU with cinebench it crashes.

1 minute ago, sjogren said:

Has worked perfectly upon til this point.

That statement describes virtually every electronic failure ever.

I've seen failed retaining clips, dried heatsink compound, partially dislodged from impact, all sorts of issues. If I were you I'd strip it all bare and start from a clean cpu and work up.

14 hours ago, jonathanm said:

That statement describes virtually every electronic failure ever.

Haha that's true!

Haven't taken it apart but remembered that i overclocked a little it when it was new. Removing that and setting everything to default has worked so far.

Wonder why it suddenly decided to not like that overclock? All the fans are spinning fine, the CPU cooler looks fine from what i can see.

I know the PSU is old, i'll have to check on that when i can. I won't run any heavy workloads on it right now, so don't really need the overclocking for the time being.

Hoping that was it. I'll keep a close eye on the CPU, temps and so on. Hope it still works fine when i get home from work.

Thanks for all the help :)

Archived