Moving drives to Dell PowerVault MD1000

Need a bit of a sense check, before i screw it up, and have to spend hours/days rebuilding my array or something for no reason.

I have a bunch of drives plugged into an M1015 in it mode.  This has served me well, but grew out of the case I was using, and i'm now looking at moving at the drives that i have shoe horned into the dell t20 into an MD1000.

Is it a case of unplug them from the m1015 direct, and plug them in the MD1000 and that into the card and unraid will actually see all the right drives and assign. Or do I have to be infinitely more careful about this, and should i be IDing all my drives and writing little labels on them, for when I inevitably mess this up 🙃😂

• 8 months later...

I have one of these laying around. problem is the PERC6e controller it came with won't support disks > 2TB apparently, and I've been too lazy/disinterested to hunt down an appropriate controller and cable combo to make it work with 10TB+ disks.

19 hours ago, sota said:

I have one of these laying around. problem is the PERC6e controller it came with won't support disks > 2TB apparently, and I've been too lazy/disinterested to hunt down an appropriate controller and cable combo to make it work with 10TB+ disks.

Is that the controller that came with the unit? That's a bummer. I am looking after cheaper alternatives than the Netapp stuff, these would have been great if it didn't have such limitations.

17 hours ago, TheToillMainn said:

Is that the controller that came with the unit? That's a bummer. I am looking after cheaper alternatives than the Netapp stuff, these would have been great if it didn't have such limitations.

I got it and a pair of old Dell servers, from a guy who wanted to retask them as-is for home video storage.  We're talking P4 processor in each, 1GB ram, Win2k3 x32 ancient boxes.  One had the controller for the MD1000 in it, and the latter has 15 750GB drives installed.  I tried to use the 10TB disks when they first came in, but it said NO BUENO.  Found out from research that the controller itself in the server can't handle disks > 2TB.  I haven't yet bothered to find a controller I can use, as I don't need another 15 drives yet :D