Unraid is on 100mbit Ethernet and does not use Gigabit

8ear

Hi to all,

I installed unraid in version 6.7.2.

Before I had OMV installed at this server with an great gigabit connection.

Now unraid only use 100mbit via autonegotiation.

If I want to set 1000mbit manually no network is usable. (Guide: https://www.shellhacks.com/change-speed-duplex-ethernet-card-linux/)

What I did:

- I changed the cables -> Nothing happens.

- I changed the cable itself from my gigabit switch to my gigabit router.   -> Nothing happens.

- I rebooted -> Nothing happens.

Mainboard:

ASRock B85M Pro3
American Megatrends Inc., Version P1.40
BIOS dated: Mon 27 Jul 2015 12:00:00 AM CEST

CPU:

Intel® Celeron® CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz

What can I do?

Kind regards

Hi @trurl

You mean the pins at the Switch / Router? With other devices I had no problems. I had only the problem with this server.

If I use another Unraid USB Stick for an other Server it will do 1000Mbit.

Only on this Server it does only 100Mbit.

Replace the Cat5/Cat6 cable with a new one.

Switch to a different port on the Switch/Routers.

Reboot all switches and routers on the network.

There is a very slight possibility that you have a port(s) damaged by a voltage/lightning surge on either the server or the switch.  If it is on the server, you will have to get a Network Interface Card (Most folks will recommend an Intel card) for the server and install that.  (If you do that, disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS. Doing that will save you potential problems later.) 

Hi @Frank1940

Thx for your help. I replaced the cables, I switch to an different port, I reboot the Switch and the Router. But nothing helped.

But after your message I replaced the cable with a complete other and now it works. It is a CAT6 Patchcable.

It is Solved.

1 minute ago, 8ear said:

now it works

👍

Just in case anyone else wonders

37 minutes ago, 8ear said:

You mean the pins at the Switch / Router

I meant the pins at all ports that might be involved. The computer, the switches, the router. Any pin that is misaligned (missing) will cause a 1000 connection to degrade to 100.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

I meant the pins at all ports that might be involved. The computer, the switches, the router. Any pin that is misaligned (missing) will cause a 1000 connection to degrade to 100.

It can also be corrosion/oxidation of the pins if the pins are either not gold plated and the plating has been done improperly!  This can be a problem with super cheap no-name cables.  Gold (and its plating operation) is expensive!!!!

Archived