WOL without windows ?

loady

Hi,

I used to be able to wake up my server using WOL, i could do this remotley. I have now moved address and am using the same router/repeater setup, i could WOL withoutr issue for a few days and now its stopped, i can access all routers and webUI for devices inside and outside LAN, i was reading that i need to check a box to enable magic packets but this is done through windows, i am trying to WOL my sevrer running unraid, is there something i need to do, the NIC is onboard and the only thing i can do with it is enable/disable WOL in the bios.

• 1 month later...

7 hours ago, Zonediver said:

You want to WOL from where? Inside or outside your LAN? If its outside then its WOW.

You can do this over Android as well but beware: Your Router must support this (over a broadcast). And dont use Port 7 or 9 - these ports will not be routed.

From outside the Lan, I can do it remotely by logging into the router via openvpn but once I shut down unraid and the server turns off I am unable to awake again untill the power has been removed for 10 seconds and restored, obviously this can't be done remotely. So I know wol works but only once per power cycle.

What is the method of doing it via Android then ?

2 hours ago, loady said:

From outside the Lan, I can do it remotely by logging into the router via openvpn but once I shut down unraid and the server turns off I am unable to awake again untill the power has been removed for 10 seconds and restored, obviously this can't be done remotely. So I know wol works but only once per power cycle.

Strange - usually that should not be a problem. Check the two LEDs on the network card when the server is turned off. The amber LED should blink constantly if everything is configured correctly.

If the LED is OFF then there is something wrong with your config.

What kind of NIC do you use? Intel or something else? Recommended is Intel.

And set the BIOS to "wake from PCIe" - otherwise the WOL will not work.

Regarding Android: That's just an alternative. The prerequisite is that the WOL config works properly.

In my case i use Android to wakup the server over WOW without loging into my router. I do this over a broadcast but that is complicated to explain and assumes that the router is configured accordingly.

Example of a broadcast over a *.bat file (from Windows) - in this case over the tool wolcmd:

wolcmd FFFFFFFFFFFF 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255 44444

The Fs are the MAC of your unraid server-nic

the 10s are your "external" IP on the router - for this i recommend a dynamic DNS adress

The 255s are the broadcast adress

and the 4s are the port where the broadcast comes into the router

Next you need to config your router to take the broadcast on port 44444 and sent it on Port 9 to the IP of your unraid-server.

But beware: The router MUST support this forward - if not, then its not working.

Some routers dont support this "trick".

In my case the IPFire (router) needs a discrete Firewall-rule.

Edited by Zonediver
4 hours ago, loady said:

Some Realtek or some Intel NIC WOL would work.

Reaktek 8111, 8118 WOL won't work under Unraid currently, those are Kernel driver related.

Edited by Benson
4 hours ago, Benson said:

Some Realtek or some Intel NIC WOL would work.

Reaktek 8111, 8118 WOL won't work under Unraid currently, those are Kernel driver related.

7 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Strange - usually that should not be a problem. Check the two LEDs on the network card when the server is turned off. The amber LED should blink constantly if everything is configured correctly.

If the LED is OFF then there is something wrong with your config.

What kind of NIC do you use? Intel or something else? Recommended is Intel.

And set the BIOS to "wake from PCIe" - otherwise the WOL will not work.

Regarding Android: That's just an alternative. The prerequisite is that the WOL config works properly.

In my case i use Android to wakup the server over WOW without loging into my router. I do this over a broadcast but that is complicated to explain and assumes that the router is configured accordingly.

Example of a broadcast over a *.bat file (from Windows) - in this case over the tool wolcmd:

wolcmd FFFFFFFFFFFF 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255 44444

The Fs are the MAC of your unraid server-nic

the 10s are your "external" IP on the router - for this i recommend a dynamic DNS adress

The 255s are the broadcast adress

and the 4s are the port where the broadcast comes into the router

Next you need to config your router to take the broadcast on port 44444 and sent it on Port 9 to the IP of your unraid-server.

But beware: The router MUST support this forward - if not, then its not working.

Some routers dont support this "trick".

In my case the IPFire (router) needs a discrete Firewall-rule.

The nic is a dual port onboard the motherboard and I believe they are realtek, I do have a pcie NIC knocking about, I'll check for the blinking light, it used to work fine at a previous location, same router Asus N66U running Merlin firmware so not sure what or how anything has changed. Can't see I have seen wake up over PCIe in the bios

20 hours ago, Benson said:

I think you should identify the model of realtek chip first. You can check this in mainboard supporting web page.

Or some people have add a PCIe NIC for work around.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, loady said:

The nic is a dual port onboard the motherboard and I believe they are realtek, I do have a pcie NIC knocking about, I'll check for the blinking light, it used to work fine at a previous location, same router Asus N66U running Merlin firmware so not sure what or how anything has changed. Can't see I have seen wake up over PCIe in the bios

So, the PCIe NIC i have is an intel i beleive, i cant connect to it though, i have disabled the onboard NICs in the bios and unraid doesnt seem to default to it, so i deleted the network.cfg from the flash and rebooted but still its not seeing the NIC, i know it works becasue i checked it on a PC first..my setup was with a static IP address so not sure if they may have changed now after deleting network.cfg, not sure what the default ip address would be.