Changing motherboard, CPU, RAM

Casper21

I'm considering changing the hardware in my existing unRaid machine; just new motherboard, CPU, RAM... keeping current flash drive and all array drives.  I've got no extra plugins or docker at this point, just the array. 

It seems like this should be as easy as putting in the new hardware, booting from the flash drive, then making sure the array drives are in the correct order before starting the array. 

Is that all there is to it, or am I missing something? Is there anything I should be concerned with?

Many thanks for your advice.

20 minutes ago, Casper21 said:

Is that all there is to it, or am I missing something? Is there anything I should be concerned with?

Done it myself several times.  That is all there is to it.  The "order" of the drives is really not an issue either as unRAID tracks drives by serial number.  As long as you have not replaced or added any drives in the hardware swap, everything should come up just as it did on the previous hardware.

There is a potential "gotcha" with VMs and hardware passthough as that may need to be reconfigured after a hardware swap, but, it appears you have no VMs.

As hoopster mentioned , drives are the nobrainer in a swap. Just finished a big one between 2 supermicro boards. Even connected them up differently between motherboard sata, hbas, bakcplanes etc. Zero issues as unraid will find them for you.

The gotchas are

- vms when passtrhu hardware as hardware adresses change

- vfio stubs for same reason

- cpu pinning (only if changing cpus / nr of cores in the process, which i had)

- network can get messed up seriously on internal motherboard ports so prepare to redo these.

- bios settings (if you have ipmi you can remote in and screenshot every bios page)

So rigorously document / screenshot all you current settingseverywhere it says the word setting.

And if you have no vms and dockers you can ignore most of this list