re-create 'flash' share

Welp, did something dumb and it's surprisingly difficult to undo. i deleted the share called 'flash'. Not un-published, but removed from the GUI. I now realize my mistake. 👨‍🦱<--🤚

Trouble is, I can't share anything on the local system via the GUI. I tried adding to the samba-shares.conf file, but that was ineffective (and over-written on boot anyway). Am I missing something?

Hoping there is a way to re-create the share, or make a new one of "/" ... Just trying to schedule a cron of backing up the USB that the OS is on. I'd rather pull it than push it.

7 hours ago, recursivity said:

i deleted the share called 'flash'.

I cannot think how this is possible  (unless you meant you deleted its contents which could have unexpected side-effects)!

It might be worth posting a screenshot of what is shown when you click on the boot device on the Main tab as that is what the 'flash' share is mapped to.

Edited by itimpi

Attached screenshots of /boot as seen in Main Tab, after clicking it, and its contents visible in GUI.

So the "How?" is a little blurry because it was 3am. I thought the way i deleted the share was to tick the "delete" checkbox after clicking it in Shares.  But, it would have to be empty to see that checkbox. And I don't delete data willy-nilly, so I didn't do that. Plus the files are [obviously?] still there so... IDK, 

I know when removing the share I had the mindset "I can always re-share it", not realizing that sharing the filesystem or flash drive contents isn't native in unraid.

So I see there are .cfg files in the config folder in boot. Perhaps if I create a .cfg for flash, and also define it in samba configs, it would show up? (Though, the samba config reverted when i attempted to change it to fix this, and I feel like the presence of the flash.cfg wouldn't have done that).

I see a file called flash.cfg, but it's in /boot/config/ - not where the other shares are located. Contents:

# Generated settings:
flashExport="-"
flashFruit="no"
flashSecurity="private"
flashReadList=""
flashWriteList="admin"

EDIT: I see that boot is set to: export =no, I just changed it to =yes and even made it public, and it does not appear in shares. 

bootdir1.png

bootdir2.png

bootContent.png

bootMain.png

Edited by recursivity
new info

There is no delete checkbox for the flash which is why there was confusion over how this might be achieved.

your screenshot shows that you have set the SMB export setting to ‘no’ which means it is not shared as ‘flash’ and thus accessible over the network.     To be able to access it over the network it needs to be set to one of the Yes variants.   You may also want to make sure you have set up the security options to suit your planned needs.

I did notice that and I did enable it right after posting - still no flash share visible in Shares.

But - after your post something made me browse to the share path and it is browsable.

Does flash not show up in Shares even when shared? ... that would explain why i thought I removed it, because I thought I toggled it in the Shares tab.

Facepalm again. Thank you for the sanity check. I failed the check but the situation is resolved :P

29 minutes ago, recursivity said:

Does flash not show up in Shares even when shared? ... that would explain why i thought I removed it, because I thought I toggled it in the Shares tab

No.  It is only by clicking on the Boot device that you can currently change its visibility and security.

There was a  feature request some time ago for it to be visible on the Shares tab and I thought that made it more ‘discoverable’ to new users but so far it has not been accepted/acted on.

Edited by itimpi

I'm with you on the Feature. I was thinking a Tab/Section called System Shares (or Admin or Default or the like) that separates those 4+flash from the User Shares. It's just cosmetic, they're separated appropriately from a logical perspective (since the Shares tab is user shares on the array, and the 4 defaults are on the array). Like you said, new-user-friendly. It's fine once you know where to look.

I'd personally reorganize a bunch in the UI but it's pretty straightforward and easy to manage overall. In a way very intuitive. It gets messy once you install some plugins, but by then you're probably getting used to diving in and out of menu tabs so you know most of your way around.

12 minutes ago, recursivity said:

I'm with you on the Feature. I was thinking a Tab/Section called System Shares (or Admin or Default or the like) that separates those 4+flash from the User Shares. It's just cosmetic, they're separated appropriately from a logical perspective (since the Shares tab is user shares on the array, and the 4 defaults are on the array). Like you said, new-user-friendly. It's fine once you know where to look.

I'd personally reorganize a bunch in the UI but it's pretty straightforward and easy to manage overall. In a way very intuitive. It gets messy once you install some plugins, but by then you're probably getting used to diving in and out of menu tabs so you know most of your way around.

One difficulty in the implementation is that the Shares tab is completely disabled until the array is started.   I am not sure how much work it would take to change that as the flash share would need to be visible even with the array stopped.