(SOLVED) Brand new 12tb Drive suddenly "Seek Error Rate - FAILING NOW" Ideas?

je82

Hello,

Suddenly one of my 12tb drives that are new comes up as "Seek error rate - FAILING NOW" yet unraid has not generated any notification regarding this i just saw it in my dashboard overwhere where it was a thumbs down on the drive.

I've attached the smart log, what are your thoughts on this? I have not yet written any data to the drive.

nas-smart-20191122-1017.zip

Edited by je82
2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Assuming it's within the warranty period It should be replaced.

waiting to see, might be a firmware/unraid compatability issue, seems like unraid reports the disk as "failing now" when it goes into sleep. its a rather new drive model, N300 from toshiba, ill look into it more and report back

Edited by je82
2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If it's in the return period where you purchased it, I'd do that instead of dealing with toshiba. The chances of you getting a brand new drive with a manufacturer RMA is pretty low, normally they give you a refurb.

I've contacted the store and i will have a refund for the drive and i'll just buy a new one, this was recommended by the store as well as if i wanted to use warranty they would have to send it to the repair center and yeah i'd most likely get a refurb.

Not a good track record for my toshibas, these are rather new... I have not had a single drive failure in over 10 years, only use seagate, but looking at backblaze statistics seagate are not great it seems, i guess i've been lucky. Started off by buying 4 brand new toshibas and one is already failing, not good :/ Hopefully i was just really unlucky.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Most likely, I've buying Toshibas lately since they are very competitively priced and no issues so far, have more than 50 currently.

damn, your archive of linux isos must be rather amazing! or are you using unraid for professional reasons?