Newbie Question

IKWeb

Hello All 

I work in I.T but am totally new to UNRaid - My Synology NAS has just given up and I am looking to build my own UNRAID Server. 

I just have a few questions I would like to get a 100% answer from before I start. 

1) Licence Costs - At the moment I am looking to add 12 HDD. Does UNRAID class 1 x HDD as 1 x Attached Storage Device? so for this it would be $89 - I am looking to add 2 SSD's but as this would be an extra $50 (if my above theory is correct) I will do this later once its all up and running and use this for a cache drive. 

2) With Synology I am able to add new disks as and when I need more space. I use WD Red drives but depending on how much cash I have at the time I may end up getting a 6TB disk or a 4TB disk so can I add diffrent disk sizes into UNRAID and for it to work like the Synology RAID system and protect my data? 

Thank you for taking the time to read the post. I hope to become a new member of the UNRAID community. 

1. Each disk whether hdd or ssd is of course an attached storage device. Not sure why you would think it might be otherwise. Do you really need the capacity of 12 array disks to start? I always recommend using only as many disks as you actually need. Each additional disk is an additional point of failure. And I recommend starting with cache installed since it simplifies setup of dockers and VMs, which you want to reside on cache.
  2. Unraid allows disks of mixed sizes in the array, and allows you to add or replace disks without rebuilding the array. You can also have 1 or 2 parity disks. Each parity disk must be at least as large as the largest single data disk.

Thank you Trul 

The terminology they use - and been new to UNRAID I just wanted to make sure I was correct in my thinking. 

My Synology NAS had 20 Disks in it when it failed today, each from 4TB in size to 12TB in size. so I want to move these disks over to the new UNRAID box. But I can do without most of them right away as restoring around 75TB of data from the cloud will take a little while. 

VM's etc I wont be using. I have 3 Dell PE R530's with 300GB RAM in each so they handle all the VM's I run. The Cache will just be for files on the server, I also have a Plex VM running on the Dell kit, so if the cache drive will help that run then great. 

Thank you for the fast reply!