Help! Computer won’t boot after HSF upgrade

maxse

Guys helppp pleaseee. 
So everything was working fine on my ASrock Mobo with an i5-8400. I decided to get a Noctua HSF because the Intel was quite loud. 

after putting everything together it powers on and then shuts off! Then powers on again stays on then shuts off! 

so I connected a monitor to the mobo vga port and I’m not getting any signal. I proceeded to unplug the LSI card... same... unplugged the p2000 same. I basically have nothing connected and I get the same results. Powers on the quickly shuts off then powers on a little longer then shuts off then powers on again, etc... all while the monitors is just blank and not receiving a signal. 

I’m pulling my hair out and don’t know what to do. Can someone help me out? What could be wrong?

Fan plugged in. I didn’t think of plugging in the intel back. Will do it rn

I also took out the ram and left only 1 stick of 2. And everything powers on but still no video screen or bios screen but the PC doesn’t shut down. And the only way I could get it to shut down is by holding the power button for 5 secs. Pressing once doesn’t turn the computer off. 
Not sure if this helps troubleshooting. 
damn it. 

plugged the intel one same result. 
the usb flash drive doesn’t even light up. It’s connected internal via an adapted to the mobo header. It’s like it’s not getting power 

Edited by maxse

So I moved the RAM modules to slots 3 and 4 and was able to finally see the bios screen! So I’m thinking okay the first 2 slots got damaged somehow. At least it’s working now. 

I put everything together put mobo back in the case and boom! Same fucken thing! Omg

What a nightmare. So I got it to boot to BIOS by taking out the p2000 graphics card. I had an issue with this once before which forced me to get a new mobo. 

but now I can’t even get it to boot from the USB drive into unraid! It’s just not recognizing it.

*EDIT* 

So I plug the flash into my macbook to see what's up, and it just blinks twice and is not showing up.

So it seems the flash died also! Could it have been static electricity or something? I've built a few unraid servers already and never had anything happen like this.

Anyway, I guess this is a sign to get a Ryzen, I can sell my i5-8400 processor I guess to get some money back? And just put everything in a supermicro 846 chasis. What do you think?

But how will I be able to get my unraid back with 70tb of data? I do have a backup of the flash from last week, but it's sitting on the array! How would I get it back? 

I know, I know I should have had it outside the array, but I was actually in the process of setting up offsite backups and was planning on doing that after installing this HSF :(

Edited by maxse
1 hour ago, maxse said:

Anyway, I guess this is a sign to get a Ryzen, I can sell my i5-8400 processor

Does Noctua HSF suite both platforms ?

I really like the performance and quality of Noctua HSF. All non stock HSF was Noctua.

Some time ago, I change my Unraid from  Ryzen 1700 ( stock HSF ) to Intel 9700K ( Noctua HSF ), in fact no big difference for my usage, but in general Intel slightly fast most time, but Ryzen have much room for CPU power.

Main reason of the change is I haven't PCIe slot for GPU, I dont want once need local display then open the case to connect GPU to 1x slot.

Edited by Benson

Okay so I decided I would keep my i5-8400 since I love it and it's lower does what I need. I have a P2000 for HW transcoding.

I decided I'm going to upgrade to a Supermicro SC846 SAS2 chasis. I'm checking ebay right now.

But I need some recommendations on finding an intel board. I just started my search.

It's gotta have an X16 slot and an X8 slot for the P2000 and for the LSI HBA. 

I also would like it to have 1 X4 slot in case I decided to get a quad NIC in the future for pfsense. Want to future proof just in case. But that's another thread, unless you guys know off-hand of a board. 

I would like to get Asus, I'm done with the cheap Asrock

20 minutes ago, maxse said:

Okay so I decided I would keep my i5-8400 since I love it and it's lower does what I need. I have a P2000 for HW transcoding.

Recommend Gigabyte Z390UD ( great price ), the reason was 1st PCIe come from CPU and other two PCIe 16 slot in 4x come from Z390. This design will got best IOMMU handling, but drawback also bottleneck of 4x bandwidth and DMI bandwidth and in offical no WOL feature.

Edited by Benson

Thanks so much Benson!

I am looking at the ASUS Prime Z390-A 

Any thoguhts on it? I realize it's more expensive, but I'm so done with getting these cheaper brands, Asus was always best many years ago and I've had this problem of mobo issues for the second time already in 12 months with this ASRock.

Also, I found I had a backup flash file offsite, just tested the offiste backup yesterday!

I made a separate thread on what the best way to get the array up and running with the backup so it wont start to format my files when tranferring to new flash drive.

What a crazy day. Already ordered the supermicro SC846 with SAS 2 backplane, fans to make it quite and the SQ PSU to make it quiet. 

I always like Asus MB, Prime Z390-A should be a good MB no doubt.

I use Asrock Z390 taichi before, but due to IOMMU issue, I change to Gigabyte Z390UD, this make things simple and more suitable for my need. There are really no ideal MB, most because LGA1151 platform limitations.

I have different brand MB in different platform, but none of them have problem, so the brand always not in priority.

I use rack case too, cooling and noise always a challenge, now my system running in some sacrifice on disk cooling but others in acceptable level.

Edited by Benson