We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unmountable: Unsupported Partition Layout after moving drive to USB

bar1

Hi everyone 

I am still  trying to set up my server.

So i had to move one of the drive to an external USB, didn't think it'll be an issue but now i am getting:

Unmountable: Unsupported Partition Layout

and:

btrfs check -s 1 /dev/sda
using SB copy 1, bytenr 67108864
Opening filesystem to check...
No valid Btrfs found on /dev/sda
ERROR: cannot open file system

What happened?

i can format the drive again but prefer not to....if i mount the drive i can access everything

Are you saying you moved an array disk from SATA to a USB enclosure? USB isn't recommended for array disks since they often have less reliable connections. I would only consider USB for an array that isn't using parity.

And USB often presents disks differently than SATA, which is likely the issue you are having now.

Rather than suggest a workaround, it might be more productive to reconsider what you are doing.

Why did you have to do this? Tell us more about your system.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

2 hours ago, bar1 said:

ee its sdf now, how can i change it back to sda?

Linux assigns the sdX designations dynamically as it sees drives so you can never rely on them staying the same.   UnRAID cannot handle an array drive momentarily disconnecting and then re-connecting (as USB drives are prone to do) and getting assigned a different sdX type designation.