We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Please Help with Parity Disk issue

Babar

Hi all,

I have setup a new Unraid server with 1x4TB WD RED parity disk and 3x4TB WD RED disks, in addition to Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD as the cache disk.

I formatted my disks, then ran parity disk prep. Parity write took 7 hours+ (initially writing at 180 MB/s but eventually slowing down to 50MB/s). But once parity disk was ready, it failed.

So I tried to run the parity again, it started writing at 500kb/s this time, giving me ETA of 130+ days, so I rebooted the server, however, it is still having isues bringing up the parity disk. I am including my syslog.

Kindly take a look and advise, what might be going wrong.

Thank you in advance.

mug-fs-001-syslog-20191223-1050.zip

You are getting lots of resets on the drive and then eventually a write failure.    More often than not these are a connection issue and not a problem with the disk itself so check the cabling to the drive.

you should provide the diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools>Diagnostics) attached to you NEXT post so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

38 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You are getting lots of resets on the drive and then eventually a write failure.    More often than not these are a connection issue and not a problem with the disk itself so check the cabling to the drive.

you should provide the diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools>Diagnostics) attached to you NEXT post so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

HI, please see the attached diagnostics.

mug-fs-001-diagnostics-20191223-2257.zip

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

The diagnostics show that the parity disk is currently offline so SMART information is not available so we can check it’s health.

You may have to power cycle the server to get the drive back online.    It is probably worth doing so and then posting new diagnostics.

I have power cycled the server, removed the hard disk and wiped its connector with alcohol wipe just in case, and plugged it back in. After coming back, the disk needed to be added to parity again. I did so, and it started building the parity again. I am attaching the diagnostics here again.

mug-fs-001-diagnostics-20191224-0750.zip

Just now, Babar said:

How can I unassign the existing disk from parity in order to add a new one ? Thanks.

I thought you could just assign a new disk in its place with the array stopped and start the array to built parity on the new drive?

if that is not the case then you can definitely do:

• stop the array
  • unassign the parity disk
  • start the array to commit the change
  • stop the array
  • assign the new parity drive
  • Start the array to build parity