Maint mode with failing disk

Just a quick question.  I have a new drive with pending and uncorrectable errors (replacement already on the way).   The server is currently shut down (started with a count of 8 uncorrectable/pending, increased to 16, then 56 after 24 hours).

I know preclear is largely unnecessary with current versions of unRaid (my config is updated to current version as of today), but I'd like to use it to stress test the new drive before adding it to the array.

Here's the question(S):  will maint mode allow preclear to run?  And more importantly, will any further harm occur with the failing disk in maintenance mode while preclear runs on the new drive?

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, minion1066 said:

Just a quick question.  I have a new drive with pending and uncorrectable errors (replacement already on the way).   The server is currently shut down (started with a count of 8 uncorrectable/pending, increased to 16, then 56 after 24 hours).

I know preclear is largely unnecessary with current versions of unRaid (my config is updated to current version as of today), but I'd like to use it to stress test the new drive before adding it to the array.

Here's the question(S):  will maint mode allow preclear to run?  And more importantly, will any further harm occur with the failing disk in maintenance mode while preclear runs on the new drive?

Thank you.

You do not even need to start the array if all you want to do is run a pre-clear !

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

You do not even need to start the array if all you want to do is run a pre-clear !

So then the question, if the machine is powered up but the array is not started to facilitate preclear, is there any further risk with the failing drive?

Is there any risk starting in maintenance mode?  Might as well run some extended smart tests while preclearing the new drive (gonna take a while 🙂)

7 minutes ago, minion1066 said:

So then the question, if the machine is powered up but the array is not started to facilitate preclear, is there any further risk with the failing drive?

Is there any risk starting in maintenance mode?  Might as well run some extended smart tests while preclearing the new drive (gonna take a while 🙂)

Other than the fact the drive will be spinning there should be little risk.

Not sure that you even have to be in Maintenance mode to run the SMART test - try clicking on the drive and see if it is needed (not in a position to check myself at the moment).