Restart GPU to give unraid output after VM Shut down?

I have only 1 GPU connected to my PC, and i was wondering if there is any way i can restart the gpu into unraid mode instead of VM once i shut down the VPN, so i can access the Unraid GUI, isntead of just black screen.

I dont have anyt other alternative other than going thru my mobile.

• 9 months later...

I'd like to revive this thread!

I have the same issue, I use my unraid server for gaming and testing VM's. My gaming used the 1070 dedicated GPU (No on board) so I boot unraid in GUI mode. Once I shutdown the VM I loose my display. I have a 710GT that uses PCIe 1x that I can add in, but it wont be in the #1 slot as my PC is water-cooled and I don't want to have to remake some pipes... I tested it out but still when closing the VM I loose display. Is there anyway for us to wake up the GPU or to rebind it to unraid after a shutdown? I saw a video from spaceinvaders one for switching from windows to mac with 1 dedicated GPU using "User Scripts" plugin. Could something like that work for this?

It is possible in linux in general, so it should be possible with unraid too..how? I don't know.

But with manjaro and 1 nvidia gpu only, this attaches to nouveau for manjaro, to vfio for the vm and back to nouveau when the vm is powered off.

All good but...sometimes the system hang on shutdown and a long press to the power button is needed to shutdown the server.

Thi s is a personal opinion but I like how unraid manages the gpu now, no screen back after the shutdown of the vm, but a short press power button shutdown the server or ssh into it to power off, without hanging.