Is a TCP/IP the right Protocol to use?

binar

Greetings Fellow Forum Members,

PC#1 is a Window7 RAID6 array machine with 20TB of data on it (no more storage space on it). PC#2 is a new UnRAID machine with a 50TB capacity. My plan is to transfer all 20TB over to the new 50TB UnRAID PC with a single CAT6 cable connection between both machines. However, I have not done anything yet because I have some uncertainties. Can anyone in this community please clarify for me the following:

• Do I need to perform a TCP/IP configuration on my Windows7 machine so my UnRAID share drives appear on Windows7 machine?
  • Does UnRAID automatically generate an IP address which I then need to find on my Windows7 machine in order to establish a TCP/IP connection?
  • Is TCP/IP connection idea totally wrong?
  • What protocol is the correct one to use to connect my two machines together so I can migrate my data the correct way?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your post Constructor. It is not that I want to do it differently. This whole process of migrating data over from a RAID array over to a new UnRAID machine is totally new to me.  So to answer your question, I just don't know all of the details involved in performing a data migration between two machines. 

Nevertheless, my new plan is to use a router in between both machines.  With the router in place, my Win7 machine should recognize the UnRAID share folders. But is setting up a TCP/IP connection still necessary after the router is in place?  Thank you for any advice.