[6.7.2] A cache slot appears Unassigned

ldrax

I have 4 drives assigned to RAID 1 BTRFS cache pool. Everything was fine when I turned the system off to do some maintenance (rearranging cables).
When I turned the system back on, 1 of cache drives (Cache 3) wasn't detected by the system, probably due to loose cable. I noticed this before anything, so I didn't start the array. Surprisingly, unRAID reported 'Configuration is valid', and slot 3 of the cache pool is simply marked as 'Unassigned'.
I turned the system off, and reseated all the cables. After booting up, the missing drive now shows up. But Cache 3 slot is still marked as Unassigned, and the drive that was supposed to be there is now listed under Unassigned Devices.

I would like to seek an advise here on what should I do next? Do i reassign the drive to cache 3 slot? or do I just start the array without cache 3 drive.
Thanks!

19 hours ago, ldrax said:

Do i reassign the drive to cache 3 slot?

No, that will be considered a new device, stop the array, if Docker/VM services are using the cache pool disable them, unassign all cache devices, start array to make Unraid "forget" current cache config, stop array, reassign all cache devices, re-enable Docker/VMs if needed, start array.

Cache pool uses a different logic, but yeah, this behavior could be improved.

You still get a warning "all data on this device will be deleted" if for example you added the unassigned device to current pool , like you mentioned on the OP, but it might leave some doubts if it's true when doing this with a previous member, it is, when doing the procedure I described above, you won't get the warning after assigning all the cache devices back, and if a valid pool is detected it will be used.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, johnnie.black said:

No, that will be considered a new device,

stop the array,

if Docker/VM services are using the cache pool disable them,

unassign all cache devices,

start array to make Unraid "forget" current cache config,

stop array,

reassign all cache devices,

re-enable Docker/VMs if needed,

start array.

I finally get to this, I'm now at step 3: unassign all cache devices. Since there is no 'Unassign' button or drop down, I assume you meant choose 'No Device' next to each of the 4 cache slots. So I chose 'No Device' for the cache 1, 2, 4. As for Cache 3, there no other option other than choosing one of available drives, so I leave it as 'Unassigned'.
So right now, this is how it looks like:
Cache 1: Missing (x)
Cache 2: Missing (x)
Cache 3: Unassigned
Cache 4: Missing (x)

Now before I proceed to 'Start the array', are these states how they are supposed to look like? Just want to make sure :)

Screenshot_2020-01-22.png