So how do I make it more like WHS...

madpoet

Ultimately the feature I miss most from WHS is the ability to have it auto backup media files and sort them into the appropriate folders.  So it finds all the pictures for instance, or music, or whatever and dumps them in the appropriate shares.  Obviously it uses the WHS extender software to do this.  What I'd like to do is figure some way to make it similar for unRaid.  I don't expect the exact same level of usability, but it would be good to have it.  Plus when it aggregates it to the share I have them all available for my media extenders :)  Am I missing an easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Paul

So are you saying you want photo files (and video files) on your desktop to be moved to a specific folder in unRAID?

If so then it should ne be to difficult to do, though you are going to want to do this from the windows side and not unRAID.  I know I could figure something out in an applescript on OS X to move files with a certain file extension to a certain unRAID share.  You could probably do something very similar with a batch script that you could set to run as often as you like.

Right... so on WHS it finds all the appropriate media files and backs them up to their directories, and is smart enough not to duplicate them ;)  My wife likes to stick photos all over her laptop for instance so I can't rely on them always being in the Photos library.  I'd like to be able to figure a way to do this with unRaid.

Something like this can probably be done through a batch script that is run, though I am not sure how difficult it might be.  This would not be something that would run on the unRAID server, as It does not care what files are where.  There might have to be something on unRAID to make sure dupes are not created, but the main part of the "program" would have to run from the Windows machine.

Your best bet, though probably not your easiest is to get your wife to put things in a defined place.

Archived