Quicksync usage across multiple containers

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm interested in moving to Unraid from Windows Server for a more stable platform.  Right now I run WS2016 with Plex, Emby, Blue Iris and a few other items on the system.  Blue Iris, Plex and Emby all "share" access to Intel IGP and thus quicksync, in other words, since it's Windows I don't have to dedicate usage to a specific application.

Now, if I move to Unraid, will I be able to utilize quicksync on my I7-7700 across multiple docker containers?  Will I be able to "share" it with both Plex and Emby to allow for hardware acceleration in both containers, possibly at the same time?  I understand that I won't be able to pass the IGP to a VM and utilize it in a docker container, but I'm more interested in allowing it in multiple docker containers.  I'm looking in to moving or at least review Shinobi in place of Blue Iris, so that would also likely utilize quicksync.

Please move this topic to the proper forum if I posted in the wrong one.

Now, if I move to Unraid, will I be able to utilize quicksync on my I7-7700 across multiple docker containers?

Yes. I have Quicksync Video enabled for Plex and Handbrake containers and also had it working at the same time in Emby when I was testing it (before you had to buy Premiere to get hardware transcoding).

I have had QSV working simultaneously on multiple transcodes with Plex and Handbrake. All you have to is to pass through /dev/dri properly in each docker container where you want QSV used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, thatonethur said:

Now, I've just got to plan moving all my data across from Windows Server to Unraid with basically only one spare drive to do it!

If you can't restore your critical data from backups, you need to rethink your storage strategy. Unraid or RAID are not a substitute for backups.

A better plan would be to add the capacity you need with fresh drives, and use your current drives as backup media.